SOLVED My Audio is distorted after latest Windows 10 Update. Is there a fix?

Reaction score
Last night Windows 10 provided the latest update. But now I find that my audio is distorted. Even my Internet audio, my games audio, and all other audio is distorted. Assuming the update is at fault, is there a fix? If the Update is not the cause, anyone have any suggestions for fixing my sound?

Reaction score
Reaction score
I had a problem with the audio screaming after the last update. No idea why it should have done it, but this is what worked for me.
Right click the speaker in the notification area, and select Playback devices.
Select recording tab
, and then the microphone array.
Select the "properties and, at the bottom of the next window, select "do not use this device"

It could be hardware specific, related to my computer (Dell) but give it a whirl.

Reaction score
Just wanted to add. My mic was still fully functional after this alteration.

Reaction score
I don't have a Windows 10 Disk, since I uploaded it from a Windows 8 system. I'd be lost even if I had the disk, in any event. But I did run the Troubleshooter, and I think I did select "Do not use this device" option as suggested above, and by golly, it worked. My audio is back, good as ever. This was the first time that I can remember where the Troubleshooter feature actually worked. I had to change the default playback software back to Windows Media Player from Groove, but now all is well, and I sure hope it stays that way. Thanks to all who replied.

Ask a Question