PC Audio

Reaction score
PC audio has been kind of an ongoing thing for me. Started out with typical "PC-type" speakers and Soundblasters and moved on to "higher" grade Logictech 2.1 systems. For a long time, I used onboard audio with whatever old A/V receiver I had and a pair of Bose 201's.

Current setup is a pair of inexpensive bookshelf speakers, sub woofer, and an external DAC/amp. It took a long time for me to figure out that I really had zero need for 5.1 surround sound at the PC. I've thought about going with larger speakers on my desk, in order to 86 the sub, but really it's not that big a deal.

So what do you use for audio and why?

Reaction score
So what do you use for audio and why?
What audio is used for answers the why audio is used. There's music and videos for the computer, there's music and videos programmed in Web sites/pages, there's News sites using it, audio CDs are playable on computers, it's all about what a User wants to do. Myself? I play both music and videos on my computers using a headset away from the family TV, no interference/distraction between them, no conflict between what anyone chooses/prefers. To be blunt about it, there are no 2 computers exactly alike and there are no 2 exactly identical Users or short version, "to each his own".

Reaction score
I use headphones on occasion as well and noticed a big difference when used an external amp. My son uses headphones exclusively and a headphone amp is something he needs. I'll fix that come Christmas-time.

Personally, I stream a lot of video on my computer. I'd say that 90% of my "TV" watching is at my desk. I'm lucky that my PC is secluded from the traditional TV room, so there's no noise pollution.

For those who use speakers - where do you place them? For many years I just head my speakers on the desk. Recently I've begun putting them on speaker stands, centered with the monitor. This has really helped improve the listening experience.

Reaction score
Audio issues would be better answered by audiophiles, those folks with the best hearing abilities and who have gone to great lengths to get the best experience as they will spend the money needed to that end. For computer users most times the built-in sound adapter will suffice quite nicely, if not there's third-party sound/audio adapters/add-in cards that have been around for a long time, since before the motherboards had the adapter [think DOS with Windows 3.11 and earlier].

Reaction score
I use high quality sound cards, 100 watt Sony receiver and build large speakers for great music. Huge amount of great music free on YouTube, etc.

Ask a Question