Audio services not responding

GCS

Reaction score
Win 10 Home, version 10.0.17134 build 17134
Asus laptop x64, Intel core i5
memory: 8 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD
sound devices: Realtek High Definition Audio, Intel Display Audio
display: NVIDIA GeForce 940MX, Intel HD graphics 620

Three days ago (four days after a win10 update) I lost audio capability across all platforms. No system sounds, no audio playback from Edge, Firefox or Chrome browsers no audio from a CD or music files. The sound icon in the systray is free and clear, the volume set to 100 and the troubleshooter only identifies "audio services not responding." Curiously, I also lost video capability in the Edge browser, but not elsewhere. I tried the following fixes with no success:
In services: stopping and restarting windows audio, the builder and dependencies, and making sure they are all set to automatic.
In device manager: updating or rolling back drivers for audio inputs and outputs as well as sound and video controllers.
In device manager: uninstalling and reinstalling the above devices
In device properties: disabling enhancements, trying various playback sample rates and bit depths
From elevated powershell: removing DolbyAtmos
Restoring to windows version before update (didn't help) and then undoing that.
SFC /scannow
Nothing worked. It's not a bad soundcard, because when I dual boot into Linux Mint everything works fine.
Does anyone have another suggestion to try or do I need to reinstall? Thanks folks.

Ask a Question