Protect audio CD from copying

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by narinesa, Jul 21, 2018.

1. narinesa

narinesa

I made a audio/music cd to be played on any cd player.
    I would like to protect it from being copied by the common non professional user.
    I do understand that an experienced user will be able to copy it.
    Just want basic copy protect that will not interfere with playing it in any cd player

narinesa, Jul 21, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. narinesa

Tim Locke

I don't think you will find a way. CD players ( ordinary consumer ones) and CD playing software on PCs ( and Macs and Linux) just doesn't have any hooks to attach any software and even if there was you'd have to invent a virus like thing that would auto play on a PC ( and Mac and Linux) that would install itself somewhere into the O/S . If it had been possible to copy protect audio CDs you can bet your life it would have been done 20 years ago.

Tim Locke, Jul 21, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. narinesa

Bif

I agree with @Tim Locke,
    There also " appears " to be software purported to do what you ask when I Googled it .. but if this were true it can also be easily undun with the same purported software.

Bif, Jul 21, 2018
  4. narinesa

Norton

The best defense against copying your music CD is You. I have to ask, Is the music your own creation or did you download and burn it. If it's the latter why would you be concerned.

Norton, Jul 21, 2018
  5. narinesa

Bif

Hi Norton, I'm getting the impression that its possibly original music he has made ( although I might be wrong ). With having composed many songs over 40+ years, when wanting to share them with the masses but not allow duplication..I have always used a dedicaded music server like SoundCloud or Reverbnation that gives you complete control over your music files and whether you just want folks to listen to them or download them.
    I've messed around with trying to copy protect MP3 files when sent via email for years, and I just find it impossible to ensure non duplication.
    I know this doesn't really touch on the cd aspect but perhaps it answers a few questions.... hopefully.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    Bif, Jul 21, 2018
  6. narinesa

Tim Locke

IIRC Didn't Sony try to protect audio CDs 20+ years ago?

If I am remembering the right thing they installed a 'rootkit' onto the PC that first played the CD. As is the way of tricks like this somebody caught it and Sony had to remove it everywhere and apologise.

Tim Locke, Jul 22, 2018
  7. narinesa

Bif

I vaguely remember that Sony attempt..and the problems it caused.

Bif, Jul 22, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question