Cannot access a Network Share

Reaction score
I have a Win7 Home laptop and Win10 Home laptop on same network.
They both have the same workgroup name but I cannot get them to access under a shared user account.
(1) I have the same user acct name on both Laptops with same password.
(2) I have (in advanced sharing) shared the entire drive that I want to access from the other Laptop with the added permissions to the name of the pertinent User to the share.
(3) That user being the one I'm logged in on one Laptop and attempting to log in the share on the other Laptop.

Now in the Pre-Win10 days I could then attempt to access the other Laptop with a \\UNC_ShareName\ShareItem
and it would then prompt me with a password login box. And from there I was in. But that's not happening. It just trys for about 10 seconds and gives an error.

I have the following settings on each Laptop. The wording is a bit different on Win7 and Win10 but below is the essential summation of what both say in Network Advanced Sharing settings
-------------------------------
(Private) Home or Work (current profile)
Turn Network discovery ON
Turn File and Print sharing OFF
Turn Password Protected sharing ON
Use User Accounts and passwords to connect to other computers
-------------------------------
(Public) Network
Turn File and Print sharing OFF
(but users with accounts on this computer can still access these folders)
=============================================
As said at start, cannot get the UNC share name to access, just returns an error.
As in \\TheOneLaptop\C (the drive) and \\UserAcctName\FolderName (the folder)
Network discovery is ON but nothing is seen except printer.
At first I thought it was because one laptop was wifi networked and the other was hard wired ethernet to same router. So I disabled the wifi and carried that laptop to the router room and hard wired it ethernet to the router also. but no go, same problem.

I'm wore out fooling with it tonight but tomorrow I will just remove the ISP Wan (internet access) cable from the modem and then turn on File and Print sharing for all networks private, public, whatever. Maybe then I can see something.

Anybody got some input that might help me?

Reaction score
Update: I can ping both Laptops by name getting replies with no data loss. I also looked up the dhcp address pool in the router login. I also pinged them both also by IP address as in ping 192.168.1.x and got replies with no data loss.
Tried with networking again with ALL Network Discovery turned ON. File Sharing turned ON on EVERYTHING, rebooted but still nothing. No network items showing (except printer) and still won't even do a \\UNCSharename\ShareItem

So on lan adapter I Checked the WINs option of NetBios over Tcp and set it on and to start it in services.msc. Rebooted but still nothing.

Also tried turning OFF password protected sharing and again making sure everything was ON that was anything remotely eluding to file and print sharing of any kind. Rebooted, still nothing.

So I ran the MS diagnose routine, it got this,
The remote device or resource won't accept the connection.
The device or resource (TheLaptopName) is not set up to accept connections on port "The File and printer sharing (SMB)".
Contact your network administrator

So I re-checked everything above, rebooted and still nothing.

so I ran the MS diagnostic again and got a different msg this time,
Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (TheLaptopName) Detected.
It is available but is not responding to connection attempts. A firewall or network security policy on the remote computer might be blocking the connection on port "file and print sharing resource".

So I first looked at the firewall rules, the only thing I could see that was blocked was Incoming NetBios over TCP, outgoing was not blocked. So anyhow I shut down the Norton firewall completely on both laptops. Tried it again, still NOTHING.

So then I disconnected both laptops from the router and went into the adapter setups on each and set the IPv4 setting to Alternate config and set one laptop to 192.168.1.20 and the other to 192.168.1.21. I still had everything to do with Sharing ON. I then hooked them together with an ethernet cable. Pretty much the same thing, it just said UnIdentified Public network. But nothing showed up this time either. Not even the printer which for once made sense since wifi and router were disconnected.

I'm beat on this one. I read Windows 10 ver 1803 update did away with the Homegroup. The MS readme said it no longer functions. But I can't get ANYTHING to work, at all.
I guess I will have to copy the drive with a USB, I'm thinking that's gonna be a bit slower

Reaction score
I'm not an expert, but you could try the following:

You shouldn't run both the 'Norton Firewall' and the Windows Firewall together. My advice is to not run the Norton one and use the Windows one. Question: is the Norton firewall a separate firewall to the Windows firewall?

Is the gateway set to the router's IP address? If not, try that.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Stephen, No I did not have 2 firewalls running and I had the one disabled during the tests. I had the WAN cable disabled from the ISP modem for safety while trying sharing but yes the gateway address was the router except for when I just hooked 2 laptops together and then I gave no gateway address.

I've since copied all the files I needed to my new Laptop with a USB link cable setup. Took about 1.5 hrs. So Win10 networking is less of an issue for me and more of a curiosity now. I did find a couple of web sites last night that I've never found on previous searches. I'm posting them up (links at bottom) hoping they might help someone else with these same issues. The info in them allowed me to see my node Icons in a file manager->Network. Could see them but could not access them, nor get a connection password box etc. Only improvements I got for all this really was being able to see the Node Icons in file manager. Also could see each node's shares by clicking on their own Network Icon (not the opposite). But could not access the shares, only just see their folder icons. Anyhow here's what I did per the web site's advise.

First of course turned network discover ON and turned ON All sharing on both nodes.
Set both node's Ethernet adapter's MS File and Print share to ON with the IPv4 Properties WINs tab set to Netbios and checked LMHost.
--------------------
Then checked in services for ones I found at web site (shown below, plus a few others)
(All of these were SET by default to start on MANUAL, but a few were not running)

Computer Browser (Browser) was running on win10 node, had to start on win7 side, Immediately afterwards could see win10 node on both nodes in file manager (but could not access it) Still could not see win7 node.

DNS Client was already running on both nodes

Function Discovery Provider Host (FDPHost) had to start on win10 node

Function Discovery Resource Publication (FDResPub) had to start on win7 node, immediately after could see both nodes in file manager, still could not access them.

Network Connections (NetMan) was already running on both nodes

Network List Service, Network Location Awareness (these 2 were running also but not mentioned on the web site list)

Peer Name Resolution Protocol (PNRPSvc) not running, would start on win7 node but would not start on win10 node, gave error (probably due to no more homegroup issue)

Peer Networking Grouping (P2PSvc) not running, would start on win7 node but would not start on win10 node, gave error (probably due to no more homegroup issue)

Peer Networking Identity Manager (P2PIMSvc) was already running on both nodes

SSDP Discovery was already running on both nodes

UPnP Device Host (UPnPHost) was already running on both nodes (although don't think this would be something I'd want running all the time with today's smart household items)

(that's all with services)

(now in Programs->Windows Features)
SMB1 was running in win10, there was no such item on win7 however the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) was not checked so I checked it.
---Other items I've been doing all along
Disabled Firewall on both nodes for 1 hour ( I had WAN cable disconnected for safety)
---
But as said above, never could actually access the nodes or their shares (yes I did have matching homegroup names with matching user accts on both nodes with matching pswds) but anyhow I had ALL private and public sharing set to ON.

Here is the web page link and video link if anyone would like to view them. Good luck
This page has good info
https://www.ghacks.net/2018/04/17/f...etwork-after-windows-10-version-1803-upgrade/

And here is a video with good info

Reaction score
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . > Sorry didn't catch this typo lapse until it was too late to edit it out. I meant to type WorkGroup where you saw HomeGroup towards the end of post. . . . . . . .

As in ------>(yes I did have matching homegroup [<------wrong, meant WorkGroup] names with matching user accts on both nodes with matching pswds)

Reaction score
Hi,

Have you tried setting up a new user account on one of the machines, then trying to access the share via that account?

Ask a Question