SOLVED Cannot access Credential Manager error 0x80070005

Reaction score
I have recently had to reinstall windows 10 (1803) Home form a system Image file. All appars OK but I ccnnot access Credential Manager I've tried checking theta teh service is started and set it to Automatic.
no change.
If run Sysytem file checker,
that reported some 'files are corrupt , been fixed,
StillI have the same problem.
I cannot find any thing else I feel competent to attempt, so am posting here hoping someonw can help with simple instructions to follow. I am a novice but good at following instrucions, Thanks in advance

Attachments

• cred0.PNG
    cred0.PNG
    13.9 KB · Views: 1,151
Reaction score
Hi Nancee,

have you tried using system recovery and set your PC back to a point where it was working well?:

Control Panel > Recovery > Open System Restore: :):):)

upload_2018-11-25_7-29-33.png

Reaction score
Hi Nancee,

have you tried using system recovery and set your PC back to a point where it was working well?:

Control Panel > Recovery > Open System Restore: :):):)

View attachment 9520
Yes thank you no system restore poiunt made as I've just reinstalled from an image back up. Not sure when it was working well as It has onlty just started a password to connect to network. I can access network but it won't remember password which is why iwas trying to get to winsdows credentials

Reaction score
Hi Nancee,

if you have everything backed up on a USB stick or other storage device (docs, pics etc), I would do a fresh complete install, if files are corrupted from the back-up image you used, it would most likely be easier to fix your problem. :):):)

Reaction score
Try this:
unhide the hidden and system files, in the File explorer, then open the "AppData\Local\Microsoft\Credentials" folder under (under your username in the "Users" folder.
Check the ownership of files in the directory in the advanced security settings, under the Properties window.
If you are not listed as the owner of the files on the "Owner" tab, then edit the ownership of each file the proper owner.

Reaction score
Hi Nancee,

if you have everything backed up on a USB stick or other storage device (docs, pics etc), I would do a fresh complete install, if files are corrupted from the back-up image you used, it would most likely be easier to fix your problem. :):):)
Thank you I did this yesterday , with some trepidation but it worked, All reinstalled with no problem and working!
thank you so much to you and everyone else for their help
Nancee

Reaction score
Hi Nancee,

glad to hear it, please mark this thread as solved so it helps others. :):):)

Ask a Question