Cannot access laptop from desktop

Reaction score
Can anyone help with this problem? I get this message every time I try to access my wife's laptop:
upload_2019-1-11_14-27-54.png

I get the same message on her laptop when I try to access my desktop. The only change is: Windows cannot access \\Desktop-ofh434d\c which is my desktop.

Can anyone tell me exactly what to do to make this work? I have 10 Pro ver 1809 and she has 10 home. This should not be a problem. I can't even print from her laptop - even though it shows the correct printer attached to my desktop.

Thanks!
Jim

Reaction score
You have file and print sharing on both machines? You have a drive set to share with anyone on each machine and when you log on to the other machine you are using correct id/password. Also your firewall on each machine may be too restrictive

As for the printer, if the printer can do do wifi I find it is more reliable to have the printer as a separate device on Wifi only.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Open the Services console
services.msc
scroll down to "Function Discovery Resource Publication" double click it and set the startup type to automatic and click the start button

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Determine the IP address used by both network nodes
Then try the same UNC only substituting the IP address in place of the NetBIOS name
\\192.168.1.222\ShareName

IF the results are the same "You do not have permission to access ……. "
Then your credentials are either missing or corrupt.

Look in Control Panel -> Credential Manager
Find that one and delete it.
Then try again and make sure you use the proper format for network credentials

MachineName\UserName (where MachineName is the machine hosting the share you are attempting to access and UserName is the name of a user on that machine who has the appropriate permissions on that device)
Password (where Password is the password for the user on the share host machine who has permission to access that location locally.... as if they were logged on locally to that machine).

IF that is all a no-go then I would suspect that there is some third party security suite on one or both that is causing the problem.

AS a means of further diagnosing the issue.....
It looks like you are attempting to share the entire C drive (just a guess)
Maybe try something smaller, like a simple new folder
Call it "Test"
Setup both share permissions (sharing tab of properties) and NTFS permissions (security tab of properties)
Share = Full control -> Everyone
NTFS = As granular or open as you would like but..... explicit "Full" to the UserName you are using to try and get at it across the network.

Reaction score
Trouble - thanks for your help!
#1 - IP address -- they are the same.
#2 -- regarding credentials - WEB or Windows?
Windows shows no credentials - nor any Certificate-Based Credentials
only Generic Credentials are listed.
#3 -- I presume MachineName\UserName should be used creating a Windows Credential on both machines, and reversing the names on the laptop? The password should be same on both computers?
#4 -- I've tried just one folder - no go; Share = Full control > Everyone on both
NTFS = I've given "FULL" .

The Windows credentials on the laptop are:
JIMSDESKTOP
UserName = JIMSDESKTOP\HOMEGROUPUSER$
Password = I've put the same on both machines.
I put the same on the desktop -- Rebooted the desktop and still get the same message! On my desktop when I created the credentials it asked for my address and I put in 192.168.1.1 -- the same as the laptop. But when I edited the laptop credentials to change the password, there was no place asking for the IP address.

Question - what should be the MachineName\UserName on each machine, in the correct order for each machine? This is all new to me, so bear with me on the questions.

Again, thanks for your help!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK
A machine named Windows10Pro and a local user (member of the local administrators group) name UserPro and a password of P@$$w0rd
A second machine named Windows10Home and a local user (member of the local administrators group) name UserHome and a password of P@$$w0rd

When on Windows10Pro attempting to access a share on Windows10Home the authentication (Windows Credentials) would be
Windows10Home\UserHome
P@$$w0rd

When on Windows10Home attempting to access a share on Windows10Pro the authentication (Windows Credentials) would be
Windows10Pro\UserPro
P@$$w0rd

Reaction score
Just changed credentials on both desktop and laptop and no luck.
Will work on this again tomorrow, thanks for all the suggestions.
Be blessed!!
Jim

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Are you using any third party security suites such as AVG, Avast, Comodo, McAfee, Norton, etc.....
On either or both machines??

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you ever tampered with the Windows Firewall?
IF so you might experiment with turning it off temporarily just to briefly test.

IDK, I'm kind of at a loss here. Usually when you are getting an explicit "Access Denied" it has to do with Credentials or some security software setting often a firewall component just stopping the effort in its' tracks.

IF I have time later today I'll drag out my laptop (only Win10 Home machine I have) and test to see if I run into anything similar.

IF you just UNC to the IP address
\\192.168.1.222 (where 192.168.1.222 is the IP address of the share host) and not directly to the share
Does it display the shares available at that location?
OR
Do you immediately get the Access Denied message

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The same way as you have been doing or at least I assumed you had been doing based on your error messages
simply determine the IP address of the other machine
then produce the Run Dialog box (windows logo key and R) and in that type
\\192.168.1.222 (where 192.168.1.222 is that IP address or course you would substitute the correct one) do not add the additional \ShareName just the IP address alone
Then hit enter or click OK

Ask a Question