SOLVED One computer (of three) in the home network cannot see other computers

Reaction score
One desktop computer in the home network cannot see the other two computers on LAN. All computers are running on W10 64. It sees only the Router (ASUS 4G-AC68U) and multimedia devices of other computers. The other two computers, one stationary connected with Router with an Ethernet cable, and the second is laptop on wireless, are see each other and the third stationary, which sees nothing.
Network settings, in my opinion, look the same, but this one gives resistance.
What should I check and what to set?

Reaction score
Check 'Sharing Options', within 'Network & Internet Settings'.
Is 'File and Printer sharing' on?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
One desktop computer in the home network cannot see the other two computers on LAN
Can you ping the other computers from the problem computer by both IP address and NetBIOS name?

Reaction score
Yes, Sharing Options, within 'Network & Internet Settings'.
Is 'File and Printer sharing' on.
I can ping the other computers from the problem computer by both IP address.
I don't know what NetBIOS is. I think it is assigning specific names to computers? ??
The computer in question is connected to internet.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I can ping the other computers from the problem computer by both IP address.
Hold the Windows logo key and strike the R key and in the run dialog box type
\\192.168.1.222 (where 192.168.1.222 is one of the IP addresses you are attempting to access)
hit enter or click OK
Let us know what that produces.

Then attempt the same with the IP address of the other machine
I don't know what NetBIOS is.
The NetBIOS name is simply the name of the computer. Commonly referred to as "friendly name" so you can use that instead of the IP Address as it may be more known, although I always use both for testing and diagnosis and find
the IP address more reliable.

Reaction score
Sorry for my not clear answer. I did ping to both computers and it was sent package of 4, all positive no error. See attachment.

Attachments

• pings.jpg
    pings.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 406

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hold the Windows logo key and strike the R key and in the run dialog box type
\\192.168.1.222 (where 192.168.1.222 is one of the IP addresses you are attempting to access)
hit enter or click OK
Let us know what that produces.

Then attempt the same with the IP address of the other machine
OK use 2.4 and 2.9
From the "Run" dialog box type
\\192.168.2.4
hit enter or click OK
Then try the other
\\192.168.2.9
hit enter or click OK
What does that produce

Reaction score
OK use 2.4 and 2.9
From the "Run" dialog box type
\\192.168.2.4
hit enter or click OK
Then try the other
\\192.168.2.9
hit enter or click OK
What does that produce

By following these instructions on both computers (2.4 and 2.9) I see the second and third (2.61) computer after logging into the router. However, I can only enter 2.4 and 2.9 respectively. Clicking on 2.61 asks for a password but we can not log in either through the PIN or MS password.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
First of all....
Make sure that 2.61 has a share set up with the correct permissions
Share permissions = Full Control to everyone
NTFS permissions / Security tab = Full Control to the local user account on that computer that you are using to authenticate

Then confirm that you are using the local credentials of that computer not the computer you are attempting to access from.
NameOfComputer\LocalUserName (on that computer) and then the password for that local user on that computer

ProblemComputer\UserName (where "ProblemComputer" is the NetBIOS name of the computer you are attempting to access AND "UserName" is a local user on that computer with appropriate permissions to the share)
Password (where "Password" is the password of that user on that computer)

after logging into the router
I'm not familiar with any requirement to "log into the router"
IS your "router" performing some extra level of security across your network???
Something like stateful packet inspection / filtering / firewall

Reaction score
First of all....
Make sure that 2.61 has a share set up with the correct permissions
Share permissions = Full Control to everyone
NTFS permissions / Security tab = Full Control to the local user account on that computer that you are using to authenticate

Then confirm that you are using the local credentials of that computer not the computer you are attempting to access from.
NameOfComputer\LocalUserName (on that computer) and then the password for that local user on that computer

ProblemComputer\UserName (where "ProblemComputer" is the NetBIOS name of the computer you are attempting to access AND "UserName" is a local user on that computer with appropriate permissions to the share)
Password (where "Password" is the password of that user on that computer)

I'm not familiar with any requirement to "log into the router"
IS your "router" performing some extra level of security across your network???
Something like stateful packet inspection / filtering / firewall

ASUS router allows for a high security networking for this requires a very strong password.
Your very good advice to open the network by:
From the "Run" dialog box from 2.61 computer I typed: \\ 192.168.2.9 than 2.4 and we could see both other computers and the printer connected to 2.9. Then the word document started to see the printer in the printing option.
So, thank you very much for guiding me to solve the problem. Thank you for your time spent on my problem.

Ask a Question