SOLVED Threat Message: Your Computer was disabled.

Reaction score
From time to time I get a disturbing message. Security Warning. Your Computer was disabled. Error: XLMR01F7985. To say the least this is alarming. I believe it is bogus. A virus or Malware of some sort. I do reboots , scanning etc and after 2 or 3 attempts I am rid of it. (I think) For awhile, maybe weeks, then it is back. It seems to relate to doing a download? After I am rid of it I then run Malwarebytes and Avast. Neither detect any problem. Any info on Is it a legit message? How to eliminate it? How prevent it from coming back?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Add https://www.adlice.com/download/roguekiller/ to your scanning.
Scroll down near the bottom of the page and grab the portable version that applies to your system architecture and run it.

Capture.PNG

Additionally you may also want to include https://us.norton.com/support/tools/npe.html

See if adding those two to your scan with Malwarebytes and Avast helps get rid of it permanently.

Reaction score
I ran these 2 and they did not find anything that seemed dangerous. A couple PUPs but that was about it. I'm not a Guru on these things. It "seems" that my msgs are somehow attached to the DownLoad web site itself. Possibly just they got infected? It "appears" it was not passed on to my PC itself? (I think) I see this same type msg on another download web site too. I just wanted to get an mp3 song D-Loaded to my PC. Three load dings and a voice tells me I need to call a Microsoft number to get instructions for removal. I am sure that a credit card number given to them is part of the removal process! Thanks for the response.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It "seems" that my msgs are somehow attached to the DownLoad web site itself.
Entirely possible.
Maybe check for a more reputable and less aggravating source for downloads although beware.....
Your issues, which would seem to be a browser redirect could be further complicated and compounded by the addition of bloatware that often comes from so called "download sites", you can end up with browser extensions, browser menu bars and what used to be euphemistically called "browser helper services" that you don't want or need.

Reaction score
its a bogus virus dont follow the instarction run a antivirus and malware program see if it helps

Reaction score
I am filing this as bogus threat to entice unawares to send money. It sure does come across as something pretty dire though! Thanks for responses.

Reaction score
I get a couple of calls a week about, yesterday even my wife got hit. I advise them to shut the power off to the computer or fully shut down the Notebook/Laptop, wait until tomorrow, boot back up and when opening the browser DO NOT restore previous session, has always fixed it. Then I run cleaners for assurance.

Reaction score
I get a couple of calls a week about, yesterday even my wife got hit. I advise them to shut the power off to the computer or fully shut down the Notebook/Laptop, wait until tomorrow, boot back up and when opening the browser DO NOT restore previous session, has always fixed it. Then I run cleaners for assurance.
To add to that, clear your browser cache and cookies

Reaction score
That is pretty much what I have done as well, Don't click anything other than Start to shut it down. Wait a couple minutes then re-boot and run Avast and Malwarebytes. Never thought to clear the cache and cookies but sounds good. Always amazes me that people with these skills and tech jobs seemingly readily available would stoop so low as make money trying to screw people over. Wonder if these originate from a rogue tech county? And... why don't these sites endeavor to clean them? My two cents.

Ask a Question