Windows Defender Threat found (No removal options).

Reaction score
I have windows 10 Home Version 1803 Build 17134.345.
Ran My windows defender on full scan and it reports finding a threat which it show path.
Why doesn't Windows Defender provide the options like the old Microsoft Security program
which in the history section shows the Thread Quarantined and gives you the option to remove selected file or all the shown threats, This was very good and I loved it. Need to have a must better page view showing more information and
options.
Please email me if I missed where Defender options that allows the actual removal of reported virus.

I ended up following the path to the threat and removed it, but shouldn't have to do this.
Regards,
Phil

Reaction score
Hi Phil,

excellent question and I am not pleased to say that I don't have an answer, what you can do is run another tool which MS neglected to inform people about :mad::

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...otection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download

See also* and give them some feedback because as usual, MS give people the run-around on their websites which they have had written by primary school children to save money!. :):):)

* https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-problems-with-detecting-and-removing-malware

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hub/4099151

I use it myself and have never really bothered to look into the app in depth, maybe I should start?. :p

Reaction score
It should have been programmed to automatically remove quarantined items after a specific period, or, in the absence of that, instructions as to how to configure it - - another neglect from MS

It is easy, through the Group editor, but ,I see you are running Windows 10 Home, so you won't have access to the Local Group Policy Editor. The good news is that you can change the quarantine settings by editing the Registry. There are published articles on the procedure. For your convenience this is how to do it.

Make a full backup of your PC before proceeding.as mistakes in the registry can be disastrous.

1.Use the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut to open the Run command.
2.Type regedit, and click OK to open the Registry.
3.Browse the following path:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender
4.Right-click on the Windows Defender (folder) key, select New, and click on Key.
5.Name the key Quarantine and press Enter.
6.Right-click on the Quarantine (folder) key, select New, and click on DWORD (32-bit) Value.
7.Name the key PurgeItemsAfterDelay and press Enter. (You may find this entry is already there, according to how new your edition is. If so, just change the number of days to your choice.)
8.Double-click the newly created key, and select Decimal.
9.In the "Value data" field, specify the number of days that the antivirus should keep infected items before removing them. I would suggest 5 days.
10.Click OK.

Quarantine items will now be removed from your computer after the specified number of days

You can reverse the settings by, on step No. 5, right-click the Quarantine (folder) key and click Delete to remove the entries.

Reaction score
I understand, from your post, that you are not receiving notification of defender actions?
This should be on be default, but, open settings - System
Select, on the left, Notifications and actions.
Scroll down to "Get notifications from these Apps"
Scroll, again, down the list, to "Security and maintenance", and turn it ON, if not already.

Reaction score
I had a nose around and couldn't find anything else, even in Control Panel > Security & Maintenance!!. So apart from what Dave suggested, there seems to be a very limited set of things you can change within Windows Defender?.:(:(:(

upload_2018-10-19_8-25-46.png

Reaction score
Settings -> Windows Defender -> Virus & Threat Protection -> Virus & Threat Protection Settings -> scroll down -> Add or Remove exclusions -> add your app executable here.

You should NOT turn off windows defender.

Reaction score
Reaction score
I would support Wolfies comment . It is not brain storing to work through the Defender/firewall options - if you think it needed!

Ask a Question