Windows defender with another AV

Reaction score
Is windows defender automatically disabled if we installing another antivirus ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hi Peyote,

yes it does, you don't need to worry about it but I personally stick with WD as it integrates better with the OS than any other AV app!. ;)

Bif

Reaction score
But is WD just as good as Norton which Comcast provides?
"As good as" is infinitely subjective...but Defender plus safe browsing habits will yield great results.
There truly is no one "best" AV pill, but with Defender and it's seemless OS integration is damn close in my opinion.
FWIW, my ISP offers the entire Mcafee suite, tried it..hated it for its intrusion and massive footprint..went back to Defender and never looked back.

Reaction score
Norton AV used to be good, haven't used it since Symantec bought it. I use Windows Defender on my computers and haven't had problems. The main thing I do to avoid infections is use Online/Webmail, have my own Domain and E-Mail address, use the E-Mail service provided by my Hosting service. They have good filtering for such things.

Reaction score
plus, Norton digs itself so deep into the system that at some point in time it will slow your pc down to a crawl. I have not used Norton/Symantecs because of it and anything from the yellow boxes...

Reaction score
The only other thing I would add to WD is perhaps ‘Malwarebytes’ anti-malware software.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

Seeing as this is not an ‘antivirus’ as such and is more an anti-malware product, the 2 will not conflict.

I have found that Malwarebytes sometimes finds malware that Defender misses and the 2 complement each other. Malwarebytes has a free version that is the one I use and I perform a scan with it every day.

Definitely do not use Norton or McAfee or any other anti-virus program as you do not need them if you have Defender.

HB

Bif

Reaction score
Maybe I need to uninstall with Norton remover and then see if updates work.
I can almost guarantee that doing so will end your update issues..(and make sure you use the uninstall utility)and generally result in a better running OS.
I second augmenting Defender with Malwarebytes..

Reaction score
But is WD just as good as Norton which Comcast provides?

Some people may say it's subjective, but I would much rather have WD than any of the others. They have an expiration date on them, and when that date comes, they will take you down a rabbit hole trying to make sure you renew. They tell you your system is infected, and then, they infect it. That's all of the ones you named. And if it is the "new" AVG, don't take the free trial. You'll need to reinstall Windows to get rid of it! I just finished a horror story with that dog tonight!

Reaction score
Hi

I can use Norton for free, as you can but I don't.
Norton hits the performance of my computer a lot, and that really bugs me.

I used Malwarebytes and have for many years.
It doesn't effect performance of my PC and it really works.

I used the free version for many years and just ran it every couple of days.

But I finally got a package deal to put the pro version on 3 computers and have never had an infection since.

I still use it on a disk to fix all my friends computers who rely on Defender.

Mike

Reaction score
As much hatred as I have for Windows Defender (it's detection rates are among the worst for the free AV programs), it does seamless integrate itself in to Windows nicely, and like said above, with safe browsing habits and Malwarebytes as a good Anti Malware solution, you should be good to go. I would dump Norton's in a heartbeat. But also like said above, use the Norton's Removal Tool. Norton's is notoriously difficult to get rid of.

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
McAfee is also a sod to get rid off if you run it. as soon as I purchase new laptop with it installed I remove it straight away and use Defender. no problems at all and laptop free from bugs etc and fast. McAfee if you have it will nag you to death to upgrade and buy,

Reaction score
McAfee is also a sod to get rid off if you run it. as soon as I purchase new laptop with it installed I remove it straight away and use Defender. no problems at all and laptop free from bugs etc and fast. McAfee if you have it will nag you to death to upgrade and buy,

So does Norton....

The worst thing someone can do is to install several AV programs/apps AND run them at the same time, meaning to have the real time protection running at the same time..

Bif

Reaction score
Any AV program that offers a dedicated "Removal Tool" should speak volumes on the intrusion of deep routed files being injected into bowels of your PC...

Reaction score
So does Norton....

The worst thing someone can do is to install several AV programs/apps AND run them at the same time, meaning to have the real time protection running at the same time..

Thing is, strangely enough, WD will incorporate another AV as the primary, and run scans on it, periodically, to "check" it. The craziest thing I have ever heard of. A real "Microsoft moment"!

Reaction score
Hi Grizzly,

apart from WD, if you install another AV app on top of another, it will most likely crash the system almost immediately as each sees the other as an attack and most likely will freeze the system or at best, slow it to a crawl. :D

Reaction score
Hi Grizzly,

apart from WD, if you install another AV app on top of another, it will most likely crash the system almost immediately as each sees the other as an attack and most likely will freeze the system or at best, slow it to a crawl. :D

I used to think that too, until I saw the message on the WD page saying that 'AVG is the primary AV system.' And that 'WD would scan periodically' the system and AVG. Crazy, but true. I wouldn't expect that behavior with McAfee, Norton. I wouldn't recommend any of those for Windows 10. WD is designed for the OS, and that one works with it.

And, actually, when they run to expiration, they will dump on your system and it will be useless. The only thing you will be doing consistently is clicking off the popups that you'll be bombarded with!

Ask a Question