Can I use Windows Defender and another Anti-Virus?

Reaction score
Hello, I have two questions about this windows 10. Windows 10 comes with Windows defender. I was told that was the only security I needed because it will clash with anything else. But is this defender secure enough? But other people I know have something else and they are all different. So can someone please tell me if I should purchase another anti virus and what one goes with Windows 10. Also what other browsers will work with windows 10. I am having nothing but trouble with Firefox. Appreciate any help.

Reaction score
My personal opinion. Defender backed up by MalWareBytes is sufficient PROVIDED THAT you also employ safe browsing and email tactics. Defender does NOT interfere with Windows updates and upgrades. Defender updates itself at least once a day. But nothing is proof against a well constructed virus or Malware.

Other opinions. Defender is not the best antivirus out there. There are surveys that claim to show which is best...use Google to find them. Some other antivirus programs have been seen (anecdotally) to interfere with W10 UPGRADES and some updates... but then when one of the upgrades happens by definition the antivirus is out of date until it is updated itself.

Using two antivirus products on the same machine is not recommended.

Like all advice gleaned from the Internet this is probably worthless.

Reaction score
I found that Firefox did have problems for me on W10 and I stopped using it months ago. I don't know if it works well now, I'd suspect it does. People on the forum complained that Chrome either would not download or would not work properly...that did not happen to me. Many people here have complained that Edge doesn't work well.

Who knows!

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
Hi I only use Windows Defender and Edge on all 8 of our systems and find that both do an excellent job and for over 6 months have had no problems at all

Reaction score
1. Downloading and installing a third party antivirus Windows will disable Defender by default.
2. I have never had any problems with Firefox Browser.
Personally, I use Avira (free) antivirus, it does a thorough job and has security updates everyday, sometimes twice a day. No problems with Windows 10 or updates.

Reaction score
in a nutshell, yes you can use it, however, it won't be "turned on", per say, and you can set the tray icon to show. It will do a "periodic" scan's, and will update the definitions as usual for it.

I had it set to do that for a while but really saw no need for it. Look at the settings for it.

Reaction score
Hello, I have two questions about this windows 10. Windows 10 comes with Windows defender. I was told that was the only security I needed because it will clash with anything else. But is this defender secure enough? But other people I know have something else and they are all different. So can someone please tell me if I should purchase another anti virus and what one goes with Windows 10. Also what other browsers will work with windows 10. I am having nothing but trouble with Firefox. Appreciate any help.

Reaction score
There are two parts to Windows Defender. One is full virus protection and in that case there is no need for another program. If you want another program (Avast, AVG and other) it will disable Windows Defender when it installs.
However, the newest Defender will let you run a full scan even if another anti virus program is running. Go to the Windows Settings app to see options. It is true that it is not recommended to run two virus program at the same time.
As far as browsers are concerned, I have been using the Windows 10 Edge and am very happy with it.
Especially the Reading view and the Print to PDF options.

Reaction score
Hi I only use Windows Defender and Edge on all 8 of our systems and find that both do an excellent job and for over 6 months have had no problems at all
Hi, not being an IT professional I am relegated to reading the software reviews in publications such as PC Magazine for the Editor's Choice products and websites such as Amazon for customer reviews. I imagine that I may have saved myself some grief in my selection of software programs by heeding the horror stories that I've read regarding some products. In terms of selecting security software including anti-virus, malware, and other protective features of which I have no clue, I never see Windows 10 Defender included in the ratings of PC Magazine but only third-party software. For that reason, although I would prefer to use Windows 10 Defender as the native security software in Window 10 for compatibility reasons, I am instead influenced to using those programs which are the Editor's Choice with the highest ratings since I have no other reliable means to evaluate other options.

Reaction score
I have been using Windows 10 together with Malwarebytes and Defender. As far as I'm aware each application looks for and zaps slightly different sorts of stuff. For the past seven months I've had no "infections", and Malwarebytes has been v.good at blocking the occasional malicious website.

Reaction score

As far as "security" goes, nothing is 100%, if it was developed by "man" it is crack-able/hack-able. That said, something is better than nothing.

I use this "Free" Security Suite called COMODO, its rated as good as any of these things and it is free, a total package AV, FW, and anti malware. I've used it for years, and have no problems, it runs well on W10 Pro x64.

http://download.comodo.com/cis/download/installs/4096/standalone/cispremium_installer.exe

be advised however, to pay attention with the installer, make sure you un check anything not related to the program so nothing gets installed except the security suite, also click on custom install, and uncheck stuff like Geek Buddy, this isn't needed. Only the firewall and anti virus need be checked.

Also once installed, the data base is pretty big, and will be updated.

per your other post about Firefox, I've used it all along, and have no problems or issues with it at all on any of the OS I've used to date, as for Edge, I can't deal with it, but if you find it usable, go for it.

Reaction score
Tim Locke above touched on browsers, they each take their turn to be the best, or worst as their vulnerability changes. Reviewers seem to prefer 3rd party offerings no matter what. I have found Defender nicely adequate and never met anyone who complains that their system was attacked due to lack of protection from Defender. Most, if not all, infections are due to clever emails and users clicking buttons. Some more recent such emails are very sophisticated and sneaky.

Reaction score
I found that Firefox did have problems for me on W10 and I stopped using it months ago.
Same here - FireFox became worthless after a certain win10 update - it started to act up and freeze, so I gave up and use its cousin Opera; works well in most aspects, has the nice feature of spell correction in whatever language you choose and is flawless even with 30 tabs open, every time... Will try FFx ''one of these'' days again, used to be one of the best and less data sucker. Rgds

Reaction score
I am an IT professional and I have been using Windows Defender for many years, starting with Win7 through Win10. It has performed flawlessly and I have never had a problem. No anti virus program will protect you from yourself. You have to use the internet smartly and not click on every email link that comes along. It is not intended to protect from simple malware, but just viruses. I have had malware popup on Firefox that will lock your computer, but if you uninstall FF and download a new copy it will be ok. You will not see Defender mentioned on any of the review publications because it is not advertised and sold separately since it comes free as a part of windows.

Reaction score
I guess it depend on where you are on the planet. Have been using Norton, for 14 yrs. disable Win Defender, back in Win XP. One of the two will tell you . With Win 10 easy to disable it. Some people have a problem with software paid for. I don't, Norton along with Malwarebytes, which I also pay for fully protected. you can see for yourself with Speccy download it , it will tell you how secure your PC is and a lot more.

Reaction score

Hi, My first reply, I'm no expert but have used most antivrus programs over the years. The problem is for each operating system I've had I've only used 1 or 2 types of antivirus programs, I know which I prefer for Win 95, 98, Millennium, XP and 7, I've been very happy with one that work well on 98 but wasn't happy with it on XP, so I'm not sure how I could compare them or say which was the best.
I love Win 10, it's the first OP that I haven't felt a little lost from the start, Microsoft are doing a fantastic job, all updates have run smoothly etc etc but my logic say, the company who make my car only make cars and do a great job, I put diesel in it from a company who only make fuel and they do great job. I'm happy to leave MS making great Operating Systems and buy security from a company who only make antivirus systems.
Before I purchase a system I read loads of top 10 antivirus reviews from pc mags etc, I've found that most of the time, if an antivirus company isn't advertising in their mag/site then they won't be in their top 10 list, even if they are number 1 in the next mag/site top 10???
So far I've only used Bitdefender Complete on Win 10, I am very happy with it, I have no idea if it's better than Defender of any other antivirus. I probably won't try another unless this gives me problems.
The only absolute correct advice I can give is, use a free antivirus if funds won't stretch to a full program and go for the most complete program you can afford, that way if your computer goes pop you won't be saying "if only"
It really is a semi educated gamble, good luck.

Reaction score
On my Windows 10 installs I am using exclusively Windows Defender as AV Program while on Win7 I am using AVAST. So far never had a problem and if using a third party software I am always using the free version.
I have tried Malwarebytes but it slowed down my PC too much, AVG let a known malware slip through and got kicked. I am using the free version of AVAST now for many years and had no problems. It does not slow down the PC and is easy on the eyes...
I guess, everybody will have his/hers preferred AV program so I merely state my experiences...

Reaction score
I have AVG (also Malwarebytes free). AVG switches Defender off. Windows tells me that it is because I am using another similar program.

Reaction score
Simple reason 7 pro PC users switched back. 10 is hell, will download whatever it wants, corrupt or disable those you use. This is Windows becoming Apple, best suggestion is try a search for Microsoft security essentials does give full cover in real time. If you can't get it, maybe Microsoft want to move you on to something more intrusive or controling

Reaction score
I have AVG (also Malwarebytes free). AVG switches Defender off. Windows tells me that it is because I am using another similar program.
Yes they all do that, but if you want to still use Defender, it will do "periodic" scans even if not turned on per say, check the settings , you can even have the tray icon viable if you want it doing that. The definitions will also be downloaded/updated if you set it that way.

I had it doing that for a while, but really didn't see much difference either way, so just left it fully disabled.

Ask a Question