Can I use Windows Defender and another Anti-Virus?

Reaction score
Don't use Windows 10, never used 8 or 8.1. But Windows 7 authenticated will give you eternal free of charge Microsoft security essentials. It works in tandem with bitdefender, gives full real time cover against all threats. It even in my case quarantined and alerted me to a worm on a memory stick, let me erase it. Can't you download security essentials on 8 or 10. Otherwise pick the best you can and stick with it, it's like adding graphics cards, device driver has conflict of drivers. With security they see any other as a threat to close down, truth is biggest threat is not you or your computer, passwords or usernames. Most people suffer from bot hijack or vulnerabilities in sites holding their data.

Reaction score
Hi guys & ladies, since my last post on this thread, I have given up on Malwarebytes, Which I was using with Norton 360. Besides Malwarebytes Techs being a bit rude, I didn't like the fact that there is no protection against auto billing. You must go to there Support each year, to stop auto billing, which is a tedious process not to pay for something you don't what. They have a third party that bills you. You are only notified after they have taken payment. I had it for one year. it took 3-4 contacts with them to get my $$$ back.

As far as running Malwarebytes and Norton 360, I was told by the Norton 360 people, it cover all areas, and I don't need Malwarebytes, as Norton does it all, but I could use it, if I cared to. I was having conflicts between the two, Malwarebytes seemed to be the problem. It wanted to change the registry which I wouldn't allow, fearing other issues.

I know a lot of people don't like Norton 360, calling it a memory hog. and for other reasons. I have been using it since 2002. As stated before by others, if you use another antivirus, other than Windows Defender it disables it. I would check in settings to be sure though. But with Norton 360, techs are easy to contact by chat, and will call you to be sure you issue was fixed. And as was my last case, I was given an added 3 months free, extending my contract.

Not advertising for Norton 360. I know some using Windows Defender, works just fine for them. Others are satisfied with third party software, some free, others you pay for.

I also have Windows "Assure Protection Plan" which solves any other problems. Tech was a good salesman, Windows Support is only allowed to do so much in a remote access. That time my issue was deeper than that, At a cost of $0.04 a day for all my Windows 10 Pro 64 bit PC's.

Recently had problems with the new 1803 Update, features of which I will never use. I wanted to roll it back to Build 1709. They we happy to do it. And added a desktop shortcut so I can see updates before they are installed, select the the ones I want. Update for the 1709 Build are installed automatically.

I'm by far no Geek, but I need my PC's in working order, don't have time for repairing something myself outside of what I no knowledge of. Usually I make it worse, for that relief I pay for.

DP.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Windows Defender is more on basic protection that has the high risk to bypass some sophisticated threats. Although Windows 8/10 Defender provides some anti-malware protection...it is weak, meaning it does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. This is true for most anti-virus solutions. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats.

Choose Bitdefender if you want something balance protection, powered by numerous features that can help to hardened your system. Advanced Threat Defense, Rescue mode, Safe Files and many more should sort out your needs.

Moreover, Bitdefender Antivirus and Internet security focused purely on detection which very essential for typical users that rely too much on internet connection, their AVC helps a lot to determine suspicious programs.

Ask a Question