Folders gone; message: We can't sign in to your account...

Reaction score
Something happened to my other computer this morning, a Dell laptop.

It took about 20 minutes to boot, and when it did the desktop was completely different from yesterday. I had a lot of documents on the desktop; they are all gone, including One Drive. I had browser shortcuts in the taskbar; now gone. There is only an Edge icon in the field and taskbar. There is a file explorer icon in the taskbar, but when I click it a window opens with several folders, all empty.

There is a "Welcome to the best windows..." window with feeds and ads [which I am able to "hide"].

And an error window that says:

"We can't sign into your account. This problem can often be fixed by signing out of your account and then signing back in. If you don't sign out now, any files you create or changes you make will be lost."​

But when I sign out it just starts another long boot process taking about 20 minutes and returns to this same place.

I was able to locate some documents on the computer by using the Search box. Once it populates a window of found documents I can copy them to an external hard drive.

I need to get this booting properly, with a stable system and access to all of my documents.

When I ran winver it showed: Win 10 Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.472)

Reaction score
upload_2018-12-28_12-47-30.png

Hi Writer,

have you tried using the recovery function?:

Control Panel > Recovery > Open System Restore and select a restore point. :):):)

Ask a Question