Windows Update tries to install an update for a program no longer on the computer

Reaction score
I think I sort of know what is causing an update to fail repeatedly, but don't know what to do about it. I have Windows update set to update other Microsoft products as well. At one time, on my previous computer, I had Microsoft Office 2007 installed. I subsequently upgraded to Microsoft Office 2010. I used a program called PC Mover to move Office 2010 from the old computer to the new one. That worked fine, and Office 2010 seems to be functioning normally. However, Windows Update keeps trying to install Security Update for Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 (KB3213642) - Error 0x80070643. I suspect that this is caused by some remnant of Office 2007 that was left on the old system after upgrade to Office 2010, and moved to the new system with Office 2010. However, I have no idea how to identify, or find the suspected remnant. In checking the Installed Applications list, I DID find Microsoft Office 2007 Interop Assemblies installed. Could this be causing the problem? And if so, is there any reason for me to keep Microsoft Office 2007 Interop Assemblies when I no longer have Microsoft Office 2007 installed?

Reaction score
Some pages about the issue:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Microsoft+Office+2007+Interop+Assemblies&t=h_&atb=v92-3_j&ia=web
One thing I ran into with Office 2010 is its 64-bit version [first time available] conflicts with previous 32-bit versions such as FrontPage 2003 which I had to remove first. Generally going to the 64-bit version requires removing all the 32-bit parts of the earlier versions.

Bighorn. Thanks. I had already found most of the articles, and I hate to admit that after reading them, I still had no idea whether I need the Primary Interop Assemblies or not, or, whether or not removing them would fix the failing update. My gut tells me that if I no longer have Microsoft Office 2007, I probably no longer need Microsoft Office 2007 Interop Assemblies. But my gut has been wrong before. I also realize that these questions (or at least the portions pertaining to Microsoft Office) probably belong in a different forum. But I asked here, based on the fact that the essence of the problem is with Windows Update repeatedly trying to install the same update. I suppose I could just let Windows Update keep on for eternity (does it ever give up and quit trying?), but that offends the part of me that wants things to work right.

Reaction score
Since there was a lot of change from Office 2003 [and earlier] to Office 2007 the Interop may have been something to help with those changes. There weren't as many big changes with Office 2010 with the biggie being the 64-bit version. I'd uninstall/remove Interop. But be aware that Office 2010 may need reinstalling.

Reaction score
Since there was a lot of change from Office 2003 [and earlier] to Office 2007 the Interop may have been something to help with those changes. There weren't as many big changes with Office 2010 with the biggie being the 64-bit version. I'd uninstall/remove Interop. But be aware that Office 2010 may need reinstalling.

Bighorn, Thanks. I do have the 32 bit version of Office 2010, though my Windows 7 system, which I moved it from, was 64 bit. As I recall, (and I don't recall very well these days), way back in 2011 or 2010 when I installed it, there was scuttlebutt that the 64 bit version of Office was buggy, so I elected to install the 32 bit version. I suppose I should really move on and get Office 365, but I'm getting to that point in life where the fewer new things one has to learn, the better. I do have the original install CDs for Office, so can reinstall it if I have to. Trying to avoid getting all the options and defaults set the way I like them. Will see if anyone else has any suggestions, then probably bite the bullet, and see if it does the trick. With my luck, I'll uninstall the Interop, and that WON'T fix the update problem, but WILL force me to reinstall Office.

Ask a Question