Can't access computer shown on the network

Reaction score
I am running Windows 10 on my desktop and laptop. Both are on the wireless network. I can access the desktop from the laptop but I cannot access the laptop from the desktop. I have run the trouble shooter and it has found nothing. I need to be able to access the laptop from the desktop. Does anyone have any ideas?

Reaction score
More info I got this message:

Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding
Detected
warning.png

Contact your network administrator or Internet service provider (ISP)
Completed
Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (DNS server). The computer or service you are trying to reach might be temporarily unavailable.

Reaction score
ka3pmw, Try this if you are still looking.

1. Open Control Panel (by clicking on the Start button and typing in Control Panel, then click the App).

2. Click on "Programs and Settings".

3. In the left panel, click on "Turn Windows features on or off".

4. If the Security dialog box appears asking for your OK, give it the OK.

5. The "Windows Features" dialog box appears.

6. Scroll down to "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support" . If it shows a black square, verify the first two boxes are checked. If they were checked, then uncheck them and OK out, or vice versa, if unchecked then check them.

7. Reboot that computer. Just let the restart finish. Don’t do anything else with that computer. Make sure that computer will NOT go to sleep while you are working on the other computer.

8. Go to the other computer on your network. And accomplish the first five steps above. The thing you want to do is make the second computer MATCH the first one. If you changed anything, do a reboot on that one. Now cross your fingers, and check file explorer and click the Network tab at the bottom left side. Give the computer some time to ‘search’ for anything on the network. Mine took 2-5 minutes (wasn’t counting).

9. If you don’t see the other computer, maybe you will see the one you are presently on.

10. Again go back to the Turn Windows features on or off and go to “SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support" and change it to the opposite setting. Restart, wait, if you don’t see the other computer, leave that one and go back to the first computer and make it look like the other one. Restart, go to Network and pray the other computer is visable. Again, give the “Network” some time to do its thing. If not there, try a screen refresh.

I have seen several web opinions on whether to have SMB1.0 turned ON, or NOT. Also, they say not to go without SMB 1, or SMB 2 or SMB 3. I don’t know where to get SMB 2 or SMB 3 or how to install them. Still researching that.

Good luck, this worked for me and several other people having this problem.

DonC

Reaction score
ka3pmw,
Sorry, forgot to included the Network Discovery" FIRST.

Check that all PC's/Laptops have the same Advanced Sharing Settings,(Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Network & Sharing Center > Change advanced sharing settings), select Turn on network discovery, and Turn ON
file & Printer sharing. I did mine for Private and Guest or Public.

Reaction score
When I have your situation, and I have, if my network if functioning otherwise, I always first check to see if the other system has a shared resource.

After an update, changes are made, such as my NAS always looses it's availability on the network

Ask a Question