Can't Access EFI or enable HyperV

Reaction score
I recently purchased a refurb Xenon HP Workstation. It has a quad core 3.5 Xenon cpu and is really fast. However, when I tried to install HyperV, I got an error message, "HyperV cannot be installed. Virtualization has been disabled in firmware." I tried to open EFI to make adjustments, however when I press F9 during boot, I am given a choice of Standard boot, EFI or Legacy boot. Selecting EFI has no effect. selecting either of the boot options boots to windows. Ant suggestions on how to enable HyperV or get into EFI will surely be appreciated.

Regedit32

Reaction score
When you are in the BIOS you enable Virtualization or Disable it via settings like below:

Note: This may vary subject to individual workstation setups.

virtualization1.jpg

virtualization2.jpg

Reaction score
I understand how to make changes in BIOS/UEFI/EFI. But as I stated, when I try to access EFI by pressing f9 during boot, I get:

Standard Boot
EFI
Legacy Boot

Selecting either boot options launches Windows 10 immediately. Selecting EFI does nothing at all. I really need help getting into EFI.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hmm,

Have you tried to access it from Desktop by:
  • Holding SHIFT key down while clicking Restart
  • Then when it loads the WinRE screen select Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > UEFI Firmware Settings and click the Restart button on that screen

Reaction score
Just a thought. Have you tried to enable it here:
Settings - Apps and features.
Over on the right "Programs and featues"
selct the "Turn Windows Feautres on or off "(top left)
Make sure the hyper-v feature is ticked.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
But as I stated, when I try to access EFI by pressing f9 during boot,
I thought F9 on an HP was to launch the one time boot menu.
I thought it was F10 or maybe it's F2, for BIOS. I don't remember exactly.
In any event on most HPs you can simply hold the escape key when powering on the computer to launch a menu from which you can select one of multiple options. Among which you should be able to choose BIOS Setup.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
There are at least three different ways to access the BIOS setup menus depending on the type of CPU, the BIOS, and when the notebook was built. For most models, after you press the power button to turn On the computer, a prompt displays to specify what key to press to enter BIOS or Windows or diagnostic functions. For newer computers, it will be the F10 key or the Esc key, however, on very old computers, you may be prompted to press the Delete key to enter a Setup function. If you do not press the suggested key at the proper time and the computer continues though the boot process, you will need to shutdown the computer and try the boot process again.

SOURCE: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00034791#AbT4

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I'm confused: Is there such and option to change from UEFI to Legacy BIOS on the fly by pressing a F Key at startup. That's exactly how I read the OP first post....by pressing F9 on a OEM PC.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Jimbo. I don't want to get too far afield and end up hijacking the thread with any stuff that might further confuse the issue.
It sounded to me like the OP just wanted to get into the BIOS and enable Hyper-V extensions and I think he just might have been getting the standard one time boot menu by pressing F9.
At least that's what it sounded like to me.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Yep...agreed. The beauty of text in how the posters can't put down in words what they really mean and then we have to translate that to what we think they mean......Hell, I might as well be talking with the wife as it's the same thing. LOL!

Ask a Question