Can't left click on start button to access my docs

Reaction score
I can't left click on the windows image in the bottom left corner of my screen. I can't get to my my docs, access the contents of a flash drive, find and open programs.

Reaction score
Does the right-click of the Start menu give you a list of choices? Can you left click one of the icons on the Taskbar to open a program such as File Explorer [the yellow file folder icon]? Or right-click the Taskbar to get a list of choices or right-click the File Explorer icon to get a list [may be a short list or several things that have previously been opened or are Pinned]? Do you get the Programs and Tiles by pressing the Windows key? Basically put, if these mentioned functions don't work Windows is not working.

Reaction score
I am having the exact same problem(s), and it has only occurred in the last day or two.

In reply to Bighorn;

Does the right-click of the Start menu give you a list of choices?
Left and right click of the start menu do not work. Nothing happens.

Can you left click one of the icons on the Taskbar to open a program such as File Explorer [the yellow file folder icon]?
Yes, that works. As well as Outlook, Skype, Chrome ... but not Calculator for some reason (it says "System Call Failed").

Or right-click the Taskbar to get a list of choices or right-click the File Explorer icon to get a list [may be a short list or several things that have previously been opened or are Pinned]?
Nope. Does not work.

Do you get the Programs and Tiles by pressing the Windows key?
Windows key doesn't work. Well, not in that way. But it does work to put the PC in standby (winkey + L).

Further to those issues, I also cannot open images with the default choice, nor videos, both of which the default choice a Windows program. I cannot click the date/time in the bottom right corner to see the calendar. Volume won't work. To change volume, I have to right-click and open the volume mixer. Outlook freezes whenever I get a new email.

Please help if you can.

Reaction score
Perhaps a first step might be to try a quick repair.
Click the Windows key (on your keyboard) + x and see if you can get into the system operations. If successful, open the Command prompt (admin)
At the prompt, type
sfc /scannow (You can copy and paste this)
It can take a little while to run.

Reaction score
winkey + x isn't working. Nothing happens.

Is there another way to access it?

Reaction score
Open the File explorer - you stated this can be done. Scroll down to the Windows folder/system 32
Scroll down the programs in here and find cmd.exe. Right click it and "Run as Administrator"

Reaction score
No, Sorry. I do not have any Win 10 installation DVD or USB. To be honest, I don't remember this laptop even coming with that (is that standard practice?). It just came with Windows 10 already on, and that was that.

Reaction score
Have a look at my previous post, I amended it whilst you were typing!

Reaction score
Complete.

It says "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

:(

Reaction score
Hmm. You have quite a problem
OK. Nxt step
Open the Command prompt as Admin again, and copy and åaste

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Reaction score
Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.16299.15

Image Version: 10.0.16299.192

No component store corruption detected.
The operation completed successfully.

Reaction score
Looks like you may be heading for a reinstall. But try one more thing. Go to settings and accounts and create a new local account. Log in to that account and see if you are back in business.

Reaction score
Settings won't open, and even if it could, I cannot actually sign out (because the WIndows button doesn't work). All I can do is press the power button and the Acer power options comes up, and I just press shutdown.

How do I do a reinstall considering my limited options for opening Windows settings/programs?

Reaction score
Without an installable media, there is an added problem.
Go here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
you can download the ISO for Windows 10 there (Official)
If you speak, or wish, for another language, go to the bottom of the page and click the small language item you can see there, and select the language of your choice.

This is going to take quite a while, so I wait for your feedback.
Perhaps another member here can, meanwhile, suggest something else??

Last edited:
Reaction score
He cannot open settings, the starting thing with your link
Kua.,
Just see if the menu will open if you press the Windows key +
Another way to open settings:
Open the file manager again.
Click on This PC
on the top menu bar. Open settings
Hopefully, we are in?

Last edited:
Reaction score
No, Sorry. I do not have any Win 10 installation DVD or USB. To be honest, I don't remember this laptop even coming with that (is that standard practice?). It just came with Windows 10 already on, and that was that.
Nearly always such computers that do not come with a disc have a Factory Restore procedure that can be reached by certain key commands at bootup, before Windows starts loading. Each brand and even different models within the brand may have a different way to do it, check with the brand of yours for the correct method.

Reaction score
Will that mean that I lose all my files and data? And that I will have to create a new account? (basically everything I did the first time since I got it from the factory..)

Ask a Question