Can't Sign In (Date-Time Block)

Reaction score
I saw a few posts regarding the Date/Time page that precedes the Avatar/sign-in page. It begins to rise with a mouse scroll or a key stroke, and sometimes you can almost subliminally see the Avatar/sign-in box,.. but then the date/time pages settles back blocking access.
Some have said it is an update initiated problem, Best Buy's Geek Squad says it's a $200 virus problem.
Any helpful experience to relate?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Any helpful experience to relate?
Sorry..... No, no personal experience as I've never had this happen although I've seen multiple posts on this forum and other regarding what sounds like the same or similar issue.

I suspect that the problem is linked to corruption with the Microsoft "Spotlight" App and probably not a $200 virus.

As "Spotlight" is not commonly evoked in a Safe Mode boot, my first suggestion would be to attempt booting the system into "Safe Mode"

You can boot the system from the installation media and use the Repair Your Computer link on the second page to get you to Troubleshooting -> Advanced Troubleshooting -> Startup Settings
To restart your computer and then select #4 (Safe Mode) from the available options.

RepairYourComputer.png

If you do not have the installation media on hand you can use the media creation tool and download the ISO from here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD, http://imgburn.com/
or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, http://rufus.akeo.ie/
either of which you can use to boot your computer.

You might also try forcing the machine to boot to the Windows Recovery Environment by.....
Using the power button on the computer to halt the boot process three times..... usually the third time will produce the Recovery Environment and allow you the same steps Troubleshoot -> Advanced Troubleshooting -> Startup Settings

Just start the machine with the power button and when you see the Windows 10 logo, usually accompanied with a circle of spinning dots, press and hold the power button until it shuts down completely no lights, no fan or drive noise.

After choosing #4 from the "Startup Settings" options you should see your user name with a password box.
IF you can then get to settings, change your lock screen from "Spotlight" to a static picture. Just choose one of the available options for a picture from the three or four presented.

Reboot the system normally and see if that helps.

IF for some reason you can't get to Settings -> Personalization -> Lock Screen ….
Then you've got some reading to do on alternate methods of …..
Resetting and re-registering "Spotlight".

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the come-back. I have used the shut-off-restart method to kick-start the "self repair" (that kicks out) then.. "Diagnosis" and that's no-go also. but it gets me to the actions menu. Resetting to former point doesn't work, not does restarting in any of the safe modes.

Attempting boot-up with a function button pressed allows an F12 sojourn to another action screen that performs a computer check, but that says everything checks out fine.

I am using a computer I use for photo-shop and DOS based programs of mine at the moment, and it has Win XP, so I am unable to download the ISO you were kind to offer.

If I find someone to download it and burn a DVD, would it do any good w/out being able to boot-up?

At this point, my hope is only that a nightly update will correct a problem that may have arrived w/ an update, or find a shop that can put my hard-drive in a working machine to scavenge my files, or let the Geek Squad do a $200 shot at repair, that will probably progress to a Complete Refresh where I lose everything.

Reaction score
find a shop that can put my hard-drive in a working machine to scavenge my files
Download a Linux LiveDVD .iso file [I use Linux Mint but Ubuntu would work], create the Bootable DVD, plug in a USB drive and boot to Linux, copy all your files over. Also possible to create a Bootable Linux USB drive to do the same. All is free except the USB drive, size dependent upon the amount of data.

Ask a Question