SOLVED We can't sign into your account May 2017

Reaction score
After the most recent updates I have been receiving the error "we can't sign into your account" when I try to log on.

I have wasted 7 hours trying every imaginable "fix". I tried the fix through three regedit... no luck. Tried to get somewhere in safe mode.... can't log in with the password at all... can't see any files to copy information to a new user account! Can't undo the recent update... it doesn't show up in the new user accout.

HELP!!!! I have important files and can't access them, can't see them at all... loosing my mind!!!

Reaction score
The program keeps creating a temporary account when I log into that profile.

First I tried restarting, a lot, not fixed.
Then I went into the regedit deleted temp file, removed bak off the original and restarted. Did this a lot, no fix at all. Keeps making temp files.
Then I went in safe mode, can not open the account with the password, I am so frustrated.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Adele and welcome to the forum.
Often this message can be a product of a non-functioning internet connection.
Can you create a new user account, just for temporary use to see if it functions normally..... try this

Go to
C:\Windows\System32
Find
Cmd.exe (if you are hiding extensions of known types then it might just say cmd)
Right click it and choose run as administrator
At the admin command prompt type
net user JohnSmith /add
hit enter
then type
net localgroup administrators JohnSmith /add
hit enter
type
exit
hit enter
Restart and log in as JohnSmith

Obviously it doesn't have to be "JohnSmith". Any Tom, Dick or Sally should work fine (dealers choice).

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply,

I already have 2 other accounts that I have been using to try to fix the problems. One is a Microsoft account (like the one receiving the error ) and it is functional, but I only set it up as a backup a long time ago. The other is a local account and it was created today and it too is functional. The one I need the most and use the most is not functional. It continues to create a temporary account when I log on. I am so very frustrated.

Reaction score
I went into the 2nd Microsoft account, logged in, and did a trouble shoot updates and it has been "repairing" for over an hour now... I live in the middle of nowhere, my Internet is the only access point for miles around. I have a strong signal. I've shut all other devices off to dedicate the data for the laptop alone. And this phone.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK.... as I mentioned, I was just wanting to see if the issue was specific to a particular profile and not a more global issue with Windows system files. It would appear that you are already ahead of that curve.
The error if you've stated it exactly is not one that I would normally associate with a corrupt profile. Those normally look something like
"The User Profile Service failed the logon."
OR
"User profile cannot be loaded."
The one that you seem to have.....
we can't sign into your account
Is more like something I've seen when the computer, for whatever reason, was "off-line"
Often after a Microsoft Account "password" had been altered (intentionally or maliciously) and the computer could not connect to the mothership to re-associate the account ID with the new password.
it has been "repairing" for over an hour now
Good luck with that and keep us posted.
I suppose it's possible that there could be some system file integrity violations that the troubleshooter might address, although I'm not exactly sure why, if it were a system file it would only impact one user profile / account.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I went into the regedit deleted temp file, removed bak off the original and restarted
7 hours trying every imaginable "fix". I tried the fix through three regedit... no luck
I was sort of under the impression that the OP had exhausted that, generally well known and well published / documented fix, although it would certainly be a good idea to confirm that they have.....
Not just the renaming and manipulation of the .bak value but also ...... Including the modification of the "State" value.

So @Adele Browers can you confirm that you have pursued that fix and.....
How's the repair coming? Any progress?

Reaction score
Ok, you were correct, I did peruse this fix without results. But I did some experiment and found that in the regedit, if I edit the path to the user account in error, it continues in error, regardless. If I copy the extention folder information into another file I cannot access the needed data. The data was stored under the erroneous user account.

Reaction score
Sorry, that would be the user account in error status. There is no way to access this data unless signed in as that user.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Well that wasn't exactly very clear but aside from using the registry editor, which generally speaking is not always a good idea for a novice user without explicit instructions and steps to follow and even then it's probably a good idea to backup the registry, especially any specific key that you are editing as well as creating a Restore Point manually before doing so.

Can you tell me, is the profile folder for the problem user still located in C:\Users\ProblemUserName?

IF you enable the hidden Administrator account can you open that folder in that location and view the contents of the child containers (Desktop, Documents, Pictures, Music, etc., etc.)

To enable the hidden Administrator account simply open an elevated command prompt and type
net user Administrator /Active:Yes
hit enter
You should see something like "The command completed successfully". Typically there is no password associated with this account unless you have seen fit to take steps to apply a password to it.
log off and log on as the "real" Administrator and see if you can get to that folder and it's contents.

Reaction score
Well, here is the end of the matter, John Smith was onto something with the first reply. Somehow the update affected the internet drivers, I was sending and receiving data, but it was somehow flawed... I did a dnsflush then from device manager I Uninstaller both the Ether net and wireless drivers. Rebooted the computer and logged in just fine. Unfortunately, I lost my files somewhere. But I had a backup. My profile is not the original but, it will be sufficient. At least I can log into my account. I wish I would have focused more on you'd first response and dug a little deeper.... thanks for your help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for the follow-up. Glad you managed to sort it out finally.
I can understand to some extent
My profile is not the original
That may have had something to do with your early attempts at editing the registry.
I don't understand
I lost my files
I'm not sure what you might have done that would have impacted the actual profile folder in C:\Users\(whatever your original user name was)
I had a backup
That's certainly a good thing.

You might want to consider stepping it up a notch and augment whatever backup process you are currently using to include disk imaging
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

Having a known good disk image that is reasonably recent gives you a solid fall back position should you ever need a time machine to go back and rescue your whole machine or just recover some critical data.
I wish I would have focused more on you'd first response
You couldn't have possibly have known for certain and I was just making an educated guess given your error and my own personal experience with such messages.
Good work on further diagnosing your problem and finding a solution that worked for you.
Regards
Randy

Ask a Question