After windows 10 update, I can't sign into my google account

Reaction score
I started a conversation on 21 Sept but could not follow through due to health problems.
I updated windows 10 on my desktop. Now I'm stuck at opening screen. Won't accept my pin and password. I tried the following:
  • Blank pin and password
  • resetting password
I would appreciate your help

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi again Georgie-girl,

Sorry to hear you were unwell. Hope you are on the mend now :)

You may be able to resolve this by trying the following:
  • Left-click on Start
  • Left-click on the Power icon so you can see the three choices, Sleep, Shutdown, Restart
  • While holding the left-SHIFT key down click on Restart

Sample image

shiftrestartsigninpage.jpg

• Your computer sill now restart and load a blue Recovery Screen with some choices. Click Troubleshoot

Sample image

troubleshoot.jpg

• This will take you to the Troubleshoot screen. Here click on Advanced options

Sample image

troubleshoot.jpg

• This will take you to the Advanced options screen. Here click on Startup Settings

Sample image

startupsettings.jpg

• This will take you to the Startup Settings screen. Here click on the Restart button

Sample image

startupsettings2.jpg

• Now the computer will restart and load to a list of choices. Press your 5 key to choose Enable Safe Mode with Networking

Sample image

startupsettings3.jpg

• Your computer will again restart and load to Safe Mode with Networking.
  • You will be prompted for your password. Enter that and press Enter key to sign in.
  • Now press Windows key and R key together to open Run dialog
  • In the Run dialog type services.msc then click OK
  • Scroll down the Services to locate Microsoft Account Sign-in Assistant.
  • Right-click on Microsoft Account Sign-in Assistant and select Properties

Sample image

sign.png

• In window that opens:

1. Change Startup type to Automatic
    Click the Start button

Sample image

sign2.png

Click
    on Apply and OK.

Now at this point you can trying left-clicking on Start > Power icon > Restart and see whether you can now login.

If you still cannot login, then repeat all above steps, but before finally clicking Start > Power icon > Restart, open a browser and return to the website https://account.live.com/password/reset and reset your password. Then having done that Restart computer and hopefully then it will finally allow you to sign in.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
I started a conversation on 21 Sept but could not follow through due to health problems.
I updated windows 10 on my desktop. Now I'm stuck at opening screen. Won't accept my pin and password. I tried the following:
  • Blank pin and password
  • resetting password
I would appreciate your help
Hi again Georgie-girl,

Sorry to hear you were unwell. Hope you are on the mend now :)

You may be able to resolve this by trying the following:
  • Left-click on Start
  • Left-click on the Power icon so you can see the three choices, Sleep, Shutdown, Restart
  • While holding the left-SHIFT key down click on Restart

Sample image

View attachment 4078

• Your computer sill now restart and load a blue Recovery Screen with some choices. Click Troubleshoot

Sample image

View attachment 4079

• This will take you to the Troubleshoot screen. Here click on Advanced options

Sample image

View attachment 4080

• This will take you to the Advanced options screen. Here click on Startup Settings

Sample image

View attachment 4081

• This will take you to the Startup Settings screen. Here click on the Restart button

Sample image

View attachment 4082

• Now the computer will restart and load to a list of choices. Press your 5 key to choose Enable Safe Mode with Networking

Sample image

View attachment 4083

• Your computer will again restart and load to Safe Mode with Networking.
  • You will be prompted for your password. Enter that and press Enter key to sign in.
  • Now press Windows key and R key together to open Run dialog
  • In the Run dialog type services.msc then click OK
  • Scroll down the Services to locate Microsoft Account Sign-in Assistant.
  • Right-click on Microsoft Account Sign-in Assistant and select Properties

Sample image

View attachment 4084

• In window that opens:

1. Change Startup type to Automatic
    Click the Start button

Sample image

View attachment 4085

Click
    on Apply and OK.

Now at this point you can trying left-clicking on Start > Power icon > Restart and see whether you can now login.

If you still cannot login, then repeat all above steps, but before finally clicking Start > Power icon > Restart, open a browser and return to the website https://account.live.com/password/reset and reset your password. Then having done that Restart computer and hopefully then it will finally allow you to sign in.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks for your concern. I am hopefully on the recovery path.
I come to where I have to enter my password, but it wont accept it. I tried blank as well, but no success. Would it help to change my password from another device?
It also shows that I have no internet connection and that no connections are available, although I am connected to my router - which I already switched of for 30 seconds and turned on again. No show! Could it be because I am working in safe-mode?

Regedit32

Reaction score
You need to be in Safe Mode with Networking to have internet access.

You can change password from another device but your computer needs to have internet access and the Microsoft Account Sign-in Service needs to be running so that the reset can take hold on your Desktop.

That is why in the instructions above I mentioned starting the service, then if necessary opening a browser and resetting password while still in Safe Mode with Networking, and then having done all that, restarting Desktop so hopefully it will finally allow you to sign-in normally.

Reaction score
I am in safe mode with internet access but have no internet options. I can't get any further than the password option - with a message that it is the wrong password. I used the old passwords that I could get hold of as well as the pin, but nothing works. I cannot get into the computer to open anything lest a browser.
Could it be that I lost admin rights and that is why I can't sign in?​

Regedit32

Reaction score
That is certainly a possibility yes.

Have you managed to log into Microsoft's Password Reset page using another device and choosing the option I forgot my password, then entering the code they send you via email to reset the password?

Reaction score
Yes, I have - twice already and it does not help. Could I create a new account from another device without losing my data and files?

Reaction score
Regedit32:

In post #2 you wrote:

"While holding the left-SHIFT key down click on Restart"

Please tell me more about the difference in the operation of the Left- and Right SHIFT keys? I have never come across this sort of thing before except in the Alt/AltGr keys (which, I being left-handed, caused me a lot of grief months ago).

Also, are there other keys that have a dual personality?

Thanks.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Please tell me more about the difference in the operation of the Left- and Right SHIFT keys?

There is no difference in this case. If you want to press and hold the right-SHIFT key while clicking Restart this too will get you to the Recovery Screen.

Ask a Question