Can't Update Album Information in Windows Media Player - redir.metaservices.microsoft.com

SOLVED Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ian, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Ian

Ian Administrator

I just tried to play a CD Album in Windows Media Player (how very retro ;)), but when I I tried to update the Album information to get the correct track names, I got the following error:

Cannot Reach This Page : redir.metaservices.microsoft.com

I did some digging for a fix, and it turns out that that Spybot Anti-Beacon had blocked connection to that domain, to prevent metadata leaking.

The answer was as simple as editing the hosts file (located in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc) and removing the following line:

0.0.0.0 redir.metaservices.microsoft.com

You'll need to launch your text editor as an Administrator, so that you have permission to edit this file.

WMP Album Information works just fine now :). Hope this fix helps someone else.

Ian, Aug 25, 2017
    Trouble and Regedit32 like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Ian

Trouble Noob Whisperer Moderator

Nice job sorting it out.
    Third party programs.... the root of all evil.
    I always wonder, when attempting to offer a possible solution..... what possible third party program / process / service can possibly be at work here, but....
    I'm loathe to ask because some folks seem a bit overly fond of their Zone Alarm, Comodo, AVG, Avast, Avira, McAfee, Norton, not to mention the various and other sundry programs that people use to defeat telemetry gathering or shell extension substitutions that alter various menus

IDK... it seems to me that Windows 10 is delicate and does enough on its' own to cause issues without further complicating things with third party utilities that try to work with OS code that Microsoft can't even seem to get to work right.

Back in the day when I use to play with mods for my Android phones, it would be like me applying a mod and then blaming Samsung or HTC for my phone not working right.

Trouble, Aug 27, 2017
    Ian and Norton like this.
    1. Advertisements