SOLVED Can't Update Album Information in Windows Media Player - redir.metaservices.microsoft.com

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I just tried to play a CD Album in Windows Media Player (how very retro ;)), but when I I tried to update the Album information to get the correct track names, I got the following error:

Cannot Reach This Page : redir.metaservices.microsoft.com

I did some digging for a fix, and it turns out that that Spybot Anti-Beacon had blocked connection to that domain, to prevent metadata leaking.

The answer was as simple as editing the hosts file (located in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc) and removing the following line:

0.0.0.0 redir.metaservices.microsoft.com

You'll need to launch your text editor as an Administrator, so that you have permission to edit this file.

WMP Album Information works just fine now :). Hope this fix helps someone else.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Nice job sorting it out.
Third party programs.... the root of all evil.
I always wonder, when attempting to offer a possible solution..... what possible third party program / process / service can possibly be at work here, but....
I'm loathe to ask because some folks seem a bit overly fond of their Zone Alarm, Comodo, AVG, Avast, Avira, McAfee, Norton, not to mention the various and other sundry programs that people use to defeat telemetry gathering or shell extension substitutions that alter various menus

IDK... it seems to me that Windows 10 is delicate and does enough on its' own to cause issues without further complicating things with third party utilities that try to work with OS code that Microsoft can't even seem to get to work right.

Back in the day when I use to play with mods for my Android phones, it would be like me applying a mod and then blaming Samsung or HTC for my phone not working right.

Reaction score
Found a solution that worked for me at microsoft:

1. Start regedit.exe
  2. Navigate to "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\TunerConfig"
  3. Look for setting PREFERREDMETADATAPROVIDER -- it should have a value "pmpMusicMatch"
  4. Edit the setting PREFERREDMETADATAPROVIDER, and clear the value so you have a blank value
  5. Save / exit regedit.exe
  6. Restart Windows Media Player, you should be restored back to fai.music.metaservices.microsoft.com

That's it, What an unnecessary pain in the proverbial

Reaction score
Found a solution that worked for me at microsoft:

1. Start regedit.exe
  2. Navigate to "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\TunerConfig"
  3. Look for setting PREFERREDMETADATAPROVIDER -- it should have a value "pmpMusicMatch"
  4. Edit the setting PREFERREDMETADATAPROVIDER, and clear the value so you have a blank value
  5. Save / exit regedit.exe
  6. Restart Windows Media Player, you should be restored back to fai.music.metaservices.microsoft.com

That's it, What an unnecessary pain in the proverbial
following your advice but as far as Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MICROSOFT\MediaPlayer but cannot find 'TunerConfig'

Ask a Question