Can't free up space for update

Reaction score
I have a Lenovo 100S and I get repeated messages about failed updates/security risk/lack of MS support shortly. But I have tried everything I can think of to get enough space without success. Lenovo recommended some steps which didn't work. I tried phoning Microsoft but gave up after listening to music for a while.

The problem is that windows takes up most of the 29GB free (about 26gb). When I run the disk cleanup it says 3.8 Terabytes can be freed from old Windows files (!). When cleanup is actioned it essentially freezes on cleanup, ie. after several hours little progress is made. It does not present a micro SD card as an option for use in the update.

Are these low spec lightweight portables now essentially not Windows upgradeable? Can I safely use it anyway?

Thanks for any comments.

David

Reaction score
What I saw on Lenovo's site is that model has a microSDXC slot for a memory card such as used in SmartPhones for extra storage. The boot/Windows drive appears to be a 32GB SSD/Solid State Drive which is a problem on Tablets and smaller Notebooks. I add a 64GB microSDXC card to mine to get the necessary space to do updates and install more programs and storage of data files. When a microSDXC card in inserted look for it in File Explorer or in Disk management you may need to assign a drive letter, I use D:.

Reaction score
Thanks Bighorn.

I have a 128gb micro sd card installed for data and programs which works OK but Windows 10 update does not make use of this as far as i can see. I've pretty well given up trying. I'm not clear who should take responsibility - John Lewis, Lenovo or Microsoft as it is still in warranty.

Reaction score
Duplicate Files Deleter Program is superb to find and delete duplicate files from your computer. It searches throughout your computer, create a list of duplicate files and present them before you for deciding what you want to do with these files. A great way to free space of your disks. If you will try you will love it.

Reaction score
Jaydeb, Norton
thanks for the comments and link. Microsoft help desk phoned me today to try and solve this issue. After 6 hours linked to my Lenovo 100s they were unable to free up enough space for the latest Windows update. Full marks for effort only. Other options could be available using a second computer but I'd had enough for now and can live with it for the time being for simple non critical tasks. But it is unsatisfactory.

Ask a Question