Disk Cleanup App

Reaction score
I've noticed of late, that when I use the native Disk Cleanup desktop app (Admin) to clean up system files, the app goes through the find/cleaning process OK. But, when I open the app a second time, it contains the same amount (GB) of files to be cleaned up. I'm running Win 10 Pro, Grandkids Home version does exactly the same. Am I missing something? I don't run this app on a regular basis. Any one else noticed this anomaly?
I thought it could be Defender blocking access to system files but the kids have Defender protected files turned OFF?

Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Somehow I think your signature applies to this topic. After having to Take Ownership a few time to get around Windows Permissions, nothing would surprise me. That is something I have never had to do in Windows 7 or earlier. Now I've had to 3 or 4 times. It is quite possible you might need to Take Ownership of the files you are trying to clean.

Reaction score
Hi,

I’ve just finished using clnmgr. When it started, there was 2,89 Go, after it was done cleaning, I opened it again and there was only 27,1 Mo left. So, I don’t have that issue. :p

I’m using the latest version of Windows 10 1709 build 16299.371

Bye ;)

Reaction score
After editing my OP "I thought it could be Defender blocking access to system files but the kids have Defender protected files turned OFF" I had a thought (dangerous) I turned Defender "Protected Folders" OFF" Ran Disk Cleanup again (Admin) the file count to be cleaned showed >8GB.
affraid.gif

After cleaning, 1st run, I was down to 432MB of junk on HD. Ran a second time (User) the junk left was 913KB.
So to answer my OP, Defender does in fact prevent access to cleaning system files. A gain of 7 GB disk space is precious, smaller backup images too.
icon_bounce.gif

Note:
I'm going to leave the topic as unsolved for now. I think it will help others that are experiencing similar Disk Clean issues.

Reaction score
Have you tried, if not already, running it in Administrative mode?

Reaction score
Dave It didn't seem to make any difference running the app as User or Admin. Turning off the Defender Protected files worked, I gained 7 GB of disk space.

Reaction score
I am interested. What were the protected files? Do you think it was a good idea to unprotect them?

I just ran the cleaner to chk. 3.02gbs to start. A second run showed 124 mbs. This was probably accumulated from all kinds of sources, during the short break - negligible!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Dave They were files that are normally listed in the Disk Clean up app. Including Windows update, Defender antivirus, Delivery optimization, Windows update cleanup, Temporary Internet files ...
The app hadn't been working correctly for months. Turning off Windows Defender Protected files and running the app as Administrator solved my problem cleaned up 7 GB of files. I still have 53 MB of files that remain after cleanup they include Windows update cleanup 46 MB, Windows Defender Antivirus 7 MB.
I can live with that, it's a far cry from 8GB.

Reaction score
Not an answer for you, but you have, of course, read the text which is at the bottom of the disk cleaner screen

Capture.PNG

In Admin mode, mine does indeed remove all the items you mentioned.

Reaction score
Thanks! Yes I was aware that all but the most recent system restore points, Windows Update Cleanup, previous Windows installations are kept. I just don't fully understand why I couldn't clean up system files temporary junk until Defenders protected folders was turned OFF. Maybe Defender was just doing it's job?

Reaction score
"I just don't fully understand why I couldn't clean up system files temporary junk until Defenders protected folders was turned OFF. Maybe Defender was just doing it's job"

Exactly. The item came out in an earlier release, no ide which one. IT should be OFF by dfefault. At the time, I turned it on to experiment with it, I found it hindered the use of sevarl third part applications on my compters so, since, I have left it Off

Reaction score
You can look at it as Defender doing its job if you want to. I'm going to look at it as Disk Cleanup not doing its job. If it can't be removed then it should never be listed as potential trash for cleanup.

Reaction score
Cliff. It is "not doing its job" because the user has chosen that option to protect certain folders. This is not the default.
I am out on a limb with this thread. I don't even use the utility. Ccleaner does it all anyway.
But don't overlook the fact that this option only protects the user from himself. It stops the user from accidentally modifying or removing the files in the folder. It hasa little to do with protection from outside, but only for the same reason..

Reaction score
You both (clifford dave) have valid points.
What worries me about Defenders "Controlled Folder Access" Is that If it's turned ON, how would a user know if the setting has any impact on 3rd party backups. It could possibly block access to certain system files.
To be safe, I ensure the setting is turned OFF when creating backups.

Ask a Question