How to save to Disc a Windows 6.6GB disk image file

Reaction score
I am changing my laptop shortly, a Windows disk image file of 6.6GB for both 32/64Bit is on the Hardrive.

Anyway I could save this onto a Disc or any other media for safe keeping.

thanks

Reaction score
I haven't used DVD or CD disks for some time. I highly recommend you purchase a USB Thumb drive for your HD disk images. A 64GB should serve your purpose, USB thumb drives are now relatively cheap now even 128GB is worthy of purchasing. I would allow you to create a full disk image and many differential backups. I highly recommend that you install (Free) Macrium Reflect imaging software, there are many free programs out there for backups.

Reaction score
Thanks.
I tend to agree in what you suggest with USB thumb drives.

But the thing I fear most with thumb drives, is losing them. Where with DVD/CD you keep em in a case and put them in a desk or cupboard etc.

Reaction score
I am changing my laptop shortly, a Windows disk image file of 6.6GB for both 32/64Bit is on the Hardrive.

Anyway I could save this onto a Disc or any other media for safe keeping.

thanks
Do you mean the installation medium as in "Windows.ISO"??
if so you can create a flash drive (*GB or 16GB) using (my preferred program) RUFUS which you can get here:
https://rufus.ie/en_IE.html

then you can create a bootable drive from your ISO. If you change your laptop though you most likely have to purchase a new key as well unless the new laptop already comes with Windows 10.

If you want to make a DVD from it you can use something like Win-ISO to make an Installation medium but you will need a "dual layer DVD" (8.5GB) to do so.

Reaction score
Windy You can place the flash drives in the DVD case for safe keeping. ;)

Reaction score
Hi windy10,

do not use an image from a different PC on a new one, it may cause all sorts of headaches down the line (different drivers being the main issue but also a licensing issue with Windows 10 key), save all you data to a storage device and do a clean install, if you replacing the HDD/SDD on the same computer, it won't be a problem!.

This is just my opinion btw, you may not have any problems but I have tried it in the past and it was more trouble than it was worth!. ;););)

Reaction score
Have a good think on Wolfie's reference to the licencing! Does you new laptop already have a registered copy of Windows 10 on it? If it is new, then it should, most certainly have one.

But, I have done what you intend a few times. It can be an initial hassle, but Windows 10 will eventually sort out the drivers for you.
Returning to your original post, though. What image is that? Certainly not Windows 10 with that size.
Or is it a full blown multi edition Windows 10 installation media?

Reaction score
Returning to your original post, though. What image is that? Certainly not Windows 10 with that size.
Or is it a full blown multi edition Windows 10 installation media?
According to the size it must be the all-in-one Installation medium created with the MCT and NOT an Image of the old laptop. I have an bare Image of Windows 10 (without programs installer,just drivers) and can't even get it with highest compression below 9GB....

Reaction score
Two things relevant to this post, one is that all Optical discs will not hold the marked capacity, the R types get formatted "on the fly" while the RW types have to be formatted by the user or program, makes the capacity less. The other is that Windows has a 32GB limit with FAT32 formatting any type drive which is what the MCT tool uses when creating the bootable USB drive, I once made a mistake by grabbing a 64GB drive and it ended up as 32GB and the remainder couldn't be accessed/used.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I am changing my laptop shortly
How?? Are you moving to a completely new laptop or are you "changing" by upgrading some component(s)
a Windows disk image file of 6.6GB for both 32/64Bit is on the Hardrive.
Can you be specific??
It appears obvious to me, although I'm frequently wrong about such things, that you have an "image" of the installation resource, more commonly called an ISO, so....
I suppose a good question might be, what format is this "image", is it an ISO, or perhaps a VHD, or other third party format like a .tib file that is generated by Acronis True Image.

In any event, you might want to consider future-proofing any media you are going to rely on over time.
Just like floppy disks.... It's getting more and more rare that a new computer includes an optical drive.

Ask a Question