SOLVED Save As popping up

Reaction score
Started this morning getting 'Save As' window opening about every ~1-3 minutes. The Save As file is index.php. Have no idea what that is but the one I did save is 0kb and is completely blank when opened in Notepad. Tried restart, AV and malwarebytes scans and no problems. Another maddening thing is that it is doing the same thing on my desktop. Tried googling it and got stuff I can't understand. Seems to talk about coding or programming and it has been 50+ years since I did any coding (back in the days of coding/wiring on breadboards, and punch cards - remember them, probably not). Now the timing of the window is random. Didn't have any problems yesterday or before. Haven't downloaded anything. Only recent change was Saturday when we installed a much needed WiFi extender. Any ideas gratefully accepted. Seems to be non-harmful and only danger is my sanity.
Tnx, DonC

Reaction score
Can't seem to be able to edit the first entry so I'll put an update here.
Update
The more I have used either computer, the Save As problem seems to only be connected with using Chrome. I've used Word, Notepad, Opera, IE, Edge, and a few others, but the problem is ONLY using Chrome. Uninstalled Chrome and reinstalled it, and after sync the problem was still there. Running out of ideas!

Reaction score
Well my old grandpa's advise seems to be true even today. He said (something like) "sleep on your problem and the next day you may find a solution a lot easier". Woke up this morning and logged on to the forum to see if I had gotten any ideas on this problem. None here, so as I was opening new tabs here, the light came on and I was a little shocked that every time I opened a tab, the Save As mystery was gone. Tried it for several sites and life is good. Tried the other computer and voila, the problem was gone there too. No ideas why, or how, or whatever, just happy it is gone. Thanks to anyone who can ever explain what caused it and why it had just disappeared.
Thanks, and Peace be with you.
DonC

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Glad it's now working for you @DonC :). I've got no idea what would have caused that sort of error - but if you check your downloads tab in Chrome (press CTRL+J in Chrome) then it may show the full URL of where index.php was downloaded from and that may give a clue.

Reaction score
Glad it's now working for you @DonC :). I've got no idea what would have caused that sort of error - but if you check your downloads tab in Chrome (press CTRL+J in Chrome) then it may show the full URL of where index.php was downloaded from and that may give a clue.
Sorry for late reply, grandkids and all. Tried the search and no results found. I think I've lost control of all the electrons on my computers. Thanks for your response. This forum amazes me in that people actually reach out to help other people with their problems. Nice being a part of this forum. Again, thanks. DonC

Ask a Question