Multiple Operatings Systems on separate disks

Reaction score
My computer (a Dell Optiplex 5050) has two SSD drives installed, C is the system drive and the second drive, the E which I installed a short while ago. I use Casper software to clone the C drive to the E drive. The clone is bootable and by merely tapping F12 to change the boot order I can boot from the E drive and be up and running in ~2 minutes if my C drive fails.

I have on a couple of occasions had dozens of error 55 referring to the E drive appearing in the Event Viewer –

A corruption was discovered in the file system structure on volume E:.
A corruption was found in a file system index structure. The file reference number is 0x5000000000005. The name of the file is "<unable to determine file name>". The corrupted index attribute is ":$I30:$INDEX_ALLOCATION".

I have been told that I should not run two instances of the same Operating System, Windows 10 Pro in this case, on two separate drives in the same machine as this may give problems. I have booted to the E drive on a couple of instances via F12 and I have to assume the copy is good as it boots and runs perfectly.

I’d welcome comments on the above, I’m also intrigued why Event Viewer should refer to ‘any’ issue, real or imaginary outside the C drive. The E drive is doing nothing except when a clone is in progress. Also occasionally the computer will run chkdsk on boot up but I presume its checking the C drive.

Any help/suggestions would be welcome...

Ask a Question