SOLVED Multiple Monitor Setting

Reaction score
I use a Lenovo ThinkPad X280 with docking stations (at home and in my work office); Windows 10. I have a different monitor configuration:
at home: in addition to the laptop monitor, I use an external monitor. I duplicate these two monitors and usually use an external monitor only;
in my work office: I use two additional monitors, in addition to the laptop monitor. Generally, the laptop lid is closed. The laptop monitor is duplicated with one external Landscape monitor. Another Portrait monitor is extension of the Landscape/Laptop monitor.

Two these configurations worked with my previous Laptop X240 under Windows7 PRO. Laptop identified home and work configurations by itself. Now my new Laptop under Windows 10 confuses configurations, resolution of monitors, color of the background every time when I transfer a laptop from work to home and back. How can I fix these two configurations and remember them so that I do not need to reconfigure each time?

The problem is not in determining the configurations I need, but in memorizing them.

Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Hi mermdyk,

try swapping the cables around depending on what type of cabling you have, VGA?, HDMI?. Do you have a multi-switch or something like that?. :):):)

Reaction score
I do not have multi-switch. X280 does not have VGA, only HDMI, however docking station has both VGA and HDMI. Portrait display is old and has only VGA. Landscape display has both VGA and HDMI. So I use VGA for Portrait monitor and HDMI for main Landscape duplicated monitor. At home I use VGA cable for single additional Landscape duplicated monitor. I think, I understood your idea and I will try to replace VGA cable with HDMI at home (as at office). May be it will solve the problem.
Thank you.
P.S. Are there any multi-display setting applications for Windows10?

Reaction score
All I can think of is the Multiple displays setting in Settings > Display: :):):)

display settings.jpg

Reaction score
Thank you. I return to this operation each time, when I would like to correct multi monitor setting, but it can not solve the problem forever!

Reaction score
Thank you. I know this. I do this each time, when I want to set computer-monitors configuration. The problem is that I have two different configurations at home and at my work office (see above), and after transfer of my Laptop from one place to the second place and restart it, the system does not identify correctly "yesterday" configuration. Unfortunately, I didn't check yet the idea with change of cables. At home, the main single external display is connected with docking station using VGA cable. At office the main external display is connected using HDMI cable and the second portrait external display is connected using VGA cable. It may be mislead the system. I should to try HDMI cable at home instead of VGA cable.

Reaction score
Hi mermdyk,

when you take the laptop from one place to another, do you use the same cable set-up?, make sure you aren't switching from one cable type to a different one when moving the laptop around, that may be the reason why you are having a problem?. :):):)

Reaction score
Yes, yes! I'll check it tonight at home and tomorrow, when I return to my office. I'll let you know. With my previous Laptop I didn't use HDMI cable. I used VGA and DVI cables and I used the VGA cable for similar connections at both locations! Now I, actually, switch between VGA and HDMI cables. I'll check today!

Thank you!

Reaction score
I'm not the expert in this discussion. I am only trying to understand in case this should happen to me.

If I understand correctly, you move a laptop back and forth between two work areas. In one area the laptop interfaces with a single external monitor (no computer) and in the other area there is a computer and a pair of monitors (multiple monitor setup) to which you also attach the laptop (as a third monitor and second computer).

At the location that has the dual monitor arrangement, is there also a computer?

It does not surprise me that moving the laptop back and forth between two dissimilar environments creates some confusion.

Reaction score
Yes, yes! I'll check it tonight at home and tomorrow, when I return to my office. I'll let you know. With my previous Laptop I didn't use HDMI cable. I used VGA and DVI cables and I used the VGA cable for similar connections at both locations! Now I, actually, switch between VGA and HDMI cables. I'll check today!

Thank you!

Since the laptop supports both VGA and HDMI, it does not seem that using one in one location and the other in the alternate location would make a difference (except maybe in quality of signal). But then you said the laptop is usually closed at the office so this would not be an issue.

Reaction score
I'm not the expert in this discussion. I am only trying to understand in case this should happen to me.

If I understand correctly, you move a laptop back and forth between two work areas. In one area the laptop interfaces with a single external monitor (no computer) and in the other area there is a computer and a pair of monitors (multiple monitor setup) to which you also attach the laptop (as a third monitor and second computer).

At the location that has the dual monitor arrangement, is there also a computer?

It does not surprise me that moving the laptop back and forth between two dissimilar environments creates some confusion.

No. There is no additional computer at the location that has the dual monitor arrangement. There are two my work areas. One of them is provided with one external monitor, permanently connected to docking station. The second work place is provided with two external monitors, permanently connected to the analogous docking station. Only one single laptop is used at these two locations.
The Laptop is usually closed at both locations.

Reaction score
Thank you to Wolfie!
Now the problem is solved. When I connected analogous landscape external monitors at two locations using analogous HDMI cables and only one Portrait monitor with VGA cable, and set the desirable configuration one time everything began to work perfectly. When I transfer now my Laptop from one location to another and back, starting laptop correctly defines monitors, and desirable duplication and extension between them.
Thank you, Wolfie, once more!

Ask a Question