How to control size of app windows on multiple monitors

Reaction score
How to control size of app windows on multiple monitors

I run a Dell M7710 with a 4K display. Attached are a Wacom Cintiq 21UX (1600 x 1200) and a Dell U2713H (2560 x 1440). When I was running Win7 Pro, any app that I called adjusted itself to the monitor resolution. So, e.g., any app would occupy its smallest space on the highest resolution monitor, the M7710. When I upgraded to Win10 Pro. I found that apps do not adjust to monitor resolution. In most cases, that's actually a good thing. However, it is problematic with Photoshop CS6, which I use constantly. There has always been a problem with the PS UI showing extremely small icons and text on a 4K screen, even with the "large text" option implemented in the software setttings. However, with Win 7 Pro, when I moved the PS window from the M7710 onto the Cintiq (1600 x 1200), the interface was readable. On Win Win10, text and icons are equally unreadable (tiny) on any monitor.

Apparently, there is a solution that makes the Photoshop interface readable in some situations but not others. It involves adding to the registry a command that has Photoshop access a photoshop.exe.manifest file (http://www.danantonielli.com/adobe-app-scaling-on-high-dpi-displays-fix/). I don’t know whether this works with CS6 as well as with CC. Unfortunately, I’m one of the lucky ones for whom this does not work. However, as I said, in Windows 7, switching the Photoshop window from the 4K screen on the laptop to the Cintiq screen fixed the problem. I would love to know how to get the same result in Windows 10. Any suggestions?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi DocPit,

That suggested fix was fairly intensely overkill.

Have you tried the simpler:
  • Right-click the executable file > select Properties > select Compatibility tab
  • Now check the box next to Disable display settings on high DPI settings

Sample image to illustrate my point

sample.png

Ask a Question