Multiple monitors detected that do not exist

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a Dell M6800 laptop running Win10 and have two Dell U2412M monitors connected via DVI in a docking station. The graphics card is a NVIDIA Quadro K3199M according to the "Device Manager".

Problem I have is that according to Settings|Customize your display, I have monitors 1, 6 and 2 to 7. Detect seems to have found monitor 5 as well.

How can I reset this so that it shows monitors 1, 2 & 3?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Image 042.png
    Image 042.png
    19 KB · Views: 1,220
Reaction score
Hi,
This did not work for me. I deleted all the keys for inside those two folders, restarted and I still have the same issue. I might try this fix again with just the laptop and no external monitors and then add them back in one at a time.

Thanks

Attachments

• Image 005.png
    Image 005.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 752
Reaction score
Ok that did not work either. Because the laptop thinks it has three displays, when I reboot it there is no display as presumably it's trying to display the logon box on a monitor that is no longer connected.

In addition there appear to be no way of disconnecting 2|7 from settings.(See attached).

Not sure what else to do short of re-installing Windows.

Attachments

• Image 006.png
    Image 006.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 871

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Can you show me a screenshot of your NVIDIA control panel that shows the port numbers where monitors are connected to another screenshot how the monitors are setup there under multimonitor setup?

Reaction score
Hi,
I set the laptop as the primary monitor, deleted all the keys and rebooted a couple of times so that I could be sure all reference to the other (external) monitors had gone. Booted the laptop without being in the dock and the laptop still thinks it has 1|2 and 5, the latter being disconnected. Trying to select monitor 1 only results in another "phantom" monitor being added.

The pics below are in chronological order. (7..8..9) and then there's a picture of the system topology.

Thanks

Attachments

• Image 007.png
    Image 007.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 841
  • Image 008.png
    Image 008.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 817
  • Image 009.png
    Image 009.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 843
  • Image 010.png
    Image 010.png
    55.8 KB · Views: 810

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Right, you should make sure that once everything is disconnected including dock and laptop is main monitor, then you delete the reg keys.

Its possible that despite the dock is disconnected that some other settings elsewhere being stored, which tbh I have no clew where as I dont own a Dell system anymore.

If there is any software installed for dock and userdata or programdata settings, make sure you remove those.

Then try again, if still ghost monitors being added and order is not as it should be, you may want to consider asking Dell for support. It could be an issue with dock itself some bug that causes this.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi,
I do have Display Fusion software installed , however I disabled that during this whole process. Might have to try all those steps again with this software uninstalled. Typically my three year onsite support from Dell ended about two weeks ago...

I also have a spare dock so will try with that.

I will post back here if/when I have resolved this.

Thanks for your help.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Do these docks have firmware updates?

Are you actually trying to fix some actual issue?

Reaction score
Yes there is a problem(s) screen backgrounds overlap by 10cm or so onto the next monitor. And I had intended to use Display Fusion to snap certain Windows to a particular monitor, which does not work with these phantom monitors.

There's no firmware for the dock and the problem occurs without the laptop docked.

Thanks

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Sorry, I really have no further ideas about this, I tried with a Dell Laptop from a friends and no ghost monitors were created, he doesn't have a dock though and I used this guide http://www.dell.com/support/article...setup-multiple-monitors-in-windows-10?lang=EN
That clearly explains how to snap specific windows to a second monitors and not using display fusion.

Maybe someone else has further thoughts on this. Good luck.

Ask a Question