"Multiple IRP Requests" BSOD (event 41, 0X8000400000000002) using Skype

Reaction score
I've gotten 5 blue screen shutdowns in the last few weeks. The error that briefly pops up before it restarts refers to "Multiple IRP Requests," and my event viewer refers to event 41 with keyword 0X8000400000000002.

As far as I can recall, all of them occurred while talking with someone on Skype, and while using the screen sharing tool.

I tried finding a dump file for this in This PC/Windows/Minidump, but that folder is empty, and searching for other possible locations didn't turn up anything. My system has had problems in downloading diagnostic tools in the past, which have installed malware on my computer, so I don't have any diagnostic readout for this beyond what I've described (I can post the event viewer data if that's helpful, but it may not be).

What I've tried to fix this: nothing so far, since I don't know what's causing it. From some research it seems like anything from an outdated driver to an improperly seated RAM or graphics card could be the culprit, but I don't know where to start in finding the cause.

I'm running Windows 10 with 8 GB of RAM, 64-bit, AMD A4-5000 processor (1.5 GHz), and the laptop itself (ASUS X552E) is about 4 years old.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I rely on Skype for business and so having it shut down during calls is causing significant problems.

Reaction score
You say you have downloaded malware on that computer in the past. Are you sure it is clean of all malware? You can download Malwarebytes and let it scan your computer. If your computer still has remnants of malware it can cause blue screens. If the computer comes up clean after running Malwarebytes then download a copy of Memtest 86+. Run that and it will test your memory to see if there is a problem with it.

Ask a Question