Splitting installation to multiple disks; choosing my userid

Reaction score
SSDs are small. So I would like to keep Program Files, Program Data, and Windows on the SSD and anything that must be on C: there. I want everything else to be on D: E: F: etc.

In particular I would like Users to be on a Large Disk. It does not seem possible to use a shortcut for USERS or a particular USER although one can use it for DOWNLOADS. What is the best way to achieve this? I expect that this will require a change to the registry.

I would like to use a chosen ID for consistency across machines. Microsoft login chooses one I do not care for by truncating my e-mail address. What is the best way to change it to a desired ID without the hassle of trying to use "Local Ids" and then enabling applications one by one?

I wish MS would give us more "advertised" options in setting up Windows 10 Pro!!

Reaction score
You can move your library folders (downloads, documents, pictures, etc) to another drive. Create an empty folder on the other drive and rename it the same as the folder you want to move. Then right click on each folder you want to move and select properties. Open the location tab and select move. Chose the new folder you renamed on the other drive.

Reaction score
Thanks Bigfeet. It is too bad I can't do this with the whole Users folder or the whole \Users\<ID> folder. I am using pcmover pro to get selected pieces of my old system moved to a new Dell. I have a number of non-standard applications in folder on C:\ . So I will try moving some of them to other disks and hope that the Registry will be adjusted for their program elements. That plus moving all the Libraries elsewhere will help. Perhaps the problem for Microsoft is in maintaining the security of the Users folder's system files when they are spread to multiple disks..
Ed

Ask a Question