Installation of Windows 10 1809 with Blue Screen after Installation

Reaction score
Using the Media Creation Tool 1809, I downloaded to a USB Flash drive the installation files for Windows 10 1809, After loging in to the new OS, I had a Blue Screen of Death "Driver IRQL Not Less or Equal" and anoter message indicating the failed device was "iaStorAsys". I rebooted and got the blue screen again. I rebooted several times and the blue screen was the result each time.

Using another computer, I determined that iaStorAsys was the "Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver". I rebooted again, and had enough time to get to the Device Manager, to Storage Controllers, and was able to uninstall and remove the offending driver. Another reboot, and the result was again a Blue Screen, this time with another message "Inaccessible Boot Device".., The computer automatically rebooted, this time to a repair mode. Using the various repairs available, i choose to repair "Start" problems. It did the repair and the computer booted.

I worked on the computer for about 15 minutes before I again had another Blue Screen of Death, this time with the IRQL message and the failed device being the iaStorAsys again. My guess is that the repair program placed a good version of the Intel Driver, and that in the interim, the operating system "updated the driver with one incompatible with something, perhaps with the OS itself.

The computer is a Dell 9020 Desktop, i7-4790 CPU, 8 GB RAM, and a 500 GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO Drive

What do i do now?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Maybe, under the circumstance, it might be a good idea to go through the normal update procedure. It might help with a bit of fault finding?
There are two threads on the subject. Most who have tried have had success.

Reaction score
If you are referring to and OptiPlex 9020, that system does have some fairly recent updates, such a Bios from July and an Intel SATA driver from Aug 2018..

I did see a flurry of update activity on the Dell Download site about a month before the new build release.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/optiplex-9020-desktop/drivers
Thanks. Saltgrass. I keep my computers (I have 6) up to date including this desktop, so I do have the latest BIOS.

I'm finding other problems, too … the new "Snit & Sketch" doesn't work at all and I lost my exe on my sync application, I'd guess if I continued to snoop around, I find many others.

The main problem --- the blue screen, seems to be caused by an external usb drive. Unplug it and no blue screen. Unplug the first external drive and plug in another and I'm back to the blue screen again, so it seems not to be the fault of an external drive. Right now the computer just doesn't like either. Remove the external drive(s), and insert an external usb flash drive seems to cause no problems.

So with all these problems I've decided to wipe the drive and start all over again. If I still have blue screen problems and other software problems (after reinstall), I'll go back to 1803 which was stable.

I just looked up at the screen on the 9020 installation process and it wants me to list my region, so it's back to the install …

Reaction score
Hi Russell,

have you checked in Control Panel > Device Manager to see if there are any problems showing there?:

device manager.JPG

I hope it helps. :):):)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I did read, on an official MSD Blog, that one of the "virtues" of this particular install, is that it takes into account programs/devices that it has listed as incompatible, and leaves them in situ.
I am thinking that is, as Russell experienced, you get the ISO and make a clean install, it cannot detect these items?
This could also be the situation that Grizzly has had, in another thread, where it removed his "gadgets". Probably, Microsoft in their infinite wisdom, saw these as incompatible.

Reaction score
Clean Install on a wiped disk finished and it works perfectly, but this should have never been necessary. I'm not sure why the original installation had the driver problem and why certain applications didn't work properly after the installation. Interestingly enough, the applications that did not work included old applications such as Syncback and new applications (to this operating system) such as Snip & Sketch (replacing the Snipping Tool)..

Thankfully, I had a good 10 minute old full backup prior to the failed installation attempt. All applications and documents are back as they were and they all work perfectly, so no real damage ... just a lost day in my life.

Reaction score
Using the Media Creation Tool 1809, I downloaded to a USB Flash drive the installation files for Windows 10 1809, After loging in to the new OS, I had a Blue Screen of Death "Driver IRQL Not Less or Equal" and anoter message indicating the failed device was "iaStorAsys". I rebooted and got the blue screen again. I rebooted several times and the blue screen was the result each time.

Using another computer, I determined that iaStorAsys was the "Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver". I rebooted again, and had enough time to get to the Device Manager, to Storage Controllers, and was able to uninstall and remove the offending driver. Another reboot, and the result was again a Blue Screen, this time with another message "Inaccessible Boot Device".., The computer automatically rebooted, this time to a repair mode. Using the various repairs available, i choose to repair "Start" problems. It did the repair and the computer booted.

I worked on the computer for about 15 minutes before I again had another Blue Screen of Death, this time with the IRQL message and the failed device being the iaStorAsys again. My guess is that the repair program placed a good version of the Intel Driver, and that in the interim, the operating system "updated the driver with one incompatible with something, perhaps with the OS itself.

The computer is a Dell 9020 Desktop, i7-4790 CPU, 8 GB RAM, and a 500 GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO Drive

What do i do now?

Russel, using a 'Media Creation Tool 1809'??? WhY??? I've never ever heard and/or done anything like that to do a 'Featured Update' e.g. like the 1809 or any others? WoW, no wonder you got the "Blue Screen of Death"! I know that is not much help but and as I've read in a followed post, you did do a 'Clean Install' (which was what I would have suggested) and as far as 'I'm not sure why the original installation had the driver problem and why certain applications didn't work properly after the installation' its because the 'Featured Update' has 'Known incompatibilities upgrading to Windows 10, version 1809' issues, see my attached known issues!

I've tried to update this 1809 a few times internally through 'Windows update' but, it kept going around in circles, the only way that I could update to this new Windows 10 update 1809 that is called 'Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809)' release date: 2 October 2018, version: Windows 10, version 1809 OS built: 17763.1 is that you 'DO NOT' use the 'Windows update' within 'Settings' and or any other means or do anything else except use the 'Windows 10 Update Assistant' that you can download from this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 which will download/install this major update, I've done this to 2 computers and it worked perfectly. Hope this helps

Attachments

• Known incompatibilities upgrading to Windows 10, version 1809.JPG
    Known incompatibilities upgrading to Windows 10, version 1809.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 616
Last edited:

Ask a Question