"Something went wrong" during windows 10 reinstallation

Reaction score
I have an Acer Predator G9-792 17,3" FHD. Its a couple years old now, and been experiencing some irregular FPS drops while gaming. So I decided to reinstall and wipe the SSD and HD using the System Preparation tool 3.14, selecting the out of the box setting, that being said Ive also tried using alt+F10 to reinstall as well. Everything seems fine until the PC asks for Region and Keyboard setup, after that it goes to Network, you can choose to connect or you can choose to skip. Ive tried both options, and both end in the same result as shown in the attached picture. Im at a loss, I can't get past that screen, and I don't really fancy buying a new Windows 10 disc to try if that works. I hope reaching out to the community would be providing a possible solution before that at least. All help is appreciated!
28126453_10155210792826889_1358928958_o.jpg

Reaction score
Make sure you are using a wired ethernet connection and not wireless. Also disconnect everything else but keyboard, mouse, and ethernet cable.

Reaction score
Make sure you are using a wired ethernet connection and not wireless. Also disconnect everything else but keyboard, mouse, and ethernet cable.

Thanks for the reply, I forgot to mention, I have also tried to connect the router and computer with an ethernet cable, with the same result, but since you mentioned it, I tried again and experienced the same thing, did an alt+F10 reset nothing connected but the ethernet cable.

Reaction score
Is there some reason you are not using a normal downloaded version of the install media?

Do you have a Win 10 Recovery drive?

I would think that while using a deployment tool a mistake was made or the tool did not create a good image for your situation. If you tried to link the tool, that link does not work for me.

Reaction score
Is there some reason you are not using a normal downloaded version of the install media?

Do you have a Win 10 Recovery drive?

I would think that while using a deployment tool a mistake was made or the tool did not create a good image for your situation. If you tried to link the tool, that link does not work for me.

Its not a link, it was just to highlight it.

In frustration Ive probably left something out that I deemed irrelevant, but it recently came back from the workshop, I sent it in because of the FPS drops. Before I sent it in I ran into the same issue though, as I tried to reinstall windows beforehand, so the first time around I did not use the SysPrepTool 3.14, with the same results though, I used the tool when the PC came back, as I had some issues with the login profiles, and as the noob I am I thought just reinstalling would be the best option to get rid of the profiles and get a clean slate to setup the PC again for myself. The SysPrepTool booted up as I logged in and I used it to reinstall I thought.
Ive also contacted the workshop as they manage to use the PC while it was there. The process is painstakingly slow as they can only be reached by e-mail, and always have to go through costumer-service, and from the responses Ive gotten so far, they didn't run into the same issue, although they don't know how to deal with it either. The only thing I can imagine is different is the internet connection. Haven't had the opportunity to connect to a different, better internet, but could that really be it?

Reaction score
If you have a system which came with Win 10, a recovery drive will reset that system back to factory conditions.... It does depend on how the factory set it up regarding the OEM software.

If you did not clean the drive, there may be a situation where an older version of the OS is trying to overwrite a newer version, which will usually not go well.

Your Frame rate falling may be related to throttling. I saw something yesterday related to Intel developing a fix for GPU throttling in certain situations, but I think I remember something related to mouse cursors hesitating for a second or two.

Reaction score
If you have a system which came with Win 10, a recovery drive will reset that system back to factory conditions.... It does depend on how the factory set it up regarding the OEM software.

If you did not clean the drive, there may be a situation where an older version of the OS is trying to overwrite a newer version, which will usually not go well.

Your Frame rate falling may be related to throttling. I saw something yesterday related to Intel developing a fix for GPU throttling in certain situations, but I think I remember something related to mouse cursors hesitating for a second or two.

How would your proceed if its trying to overwrite a newer version?

Reaction score
First, are you trying to overwrite a newer version?

If you are, either use a newer build version so you have the same one but I don't know if your procedure would be able to overwrite any prior OS. Cleaning the drive would eliminate the problem, but I cannot suggest that since I don't know exactly where you stand on your install situation.

Reaction score
First, are you trying to overwrite a newer version?

If you are, either use a newer build version so you have the same one but I don't know if your procedure would be able to overwrite any prior OS. Cleaning the drive would eliminate the problem, but I cannot suggest that since I don't know exactly where you stand on your install situation.

I have no idea what Im trying, well, Im trying to install windows, but how and what Im doing is less than intentional, Ive done what I've written and ended up with that screen, I don't see myself as completely useless, but just assume that I have no clue what Im doing.. I tried to reinstall using the tools on the computer, 1st time was from the home screen if that can be said, while it was still working using the recovery from the main setting menu. 2nd time was with the SysPrepTool 3.14 and 3rd and every try after has been with alt+F10 as I can't get past the picture attached

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry to know that you are facing issues with while upgrading to Windows 10.

Refer to the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you perform the Windows Update troubleshooter and check the Windows Installer services status.

Step 1: Try to run the Windows update troubleshooter and check if it helps.

1. Tap on Windows Key and click on the search bar.
2. Type “Troubleshooting” without the quotes and click on Troubleshooting.
3. Then click on View All on the left panel of the screen.
4. Click on Windows Update.
5. Click on Next and follow the prompts to run the troubleshooter.

If the issue still persists, refer to the below method.

Step 2: Also try to activate the Windows Installer Services in Services Window.

1. Press Windows Key + R Key.

2. Type “services.msc” without the quotes and hit on Enter Key.

3. Search for on Windows Installer.

4. Double click on it and under Startup type, select Automatic.

5. Then click on Start.

6. Click on Apply and click on OK.

If you the issue still persist, refer to the below method

Method 2: I suggest you to temporarily disable the antivirus and check if it helps.

Disable Anti Virus:

NOTE: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

If you the issue still persist, refer to the below method.

Method 3: I would suggest you boot the Computer in clean boot mode and troubleshoot with the issue.

Refer to the below link to enter into clean boot state. The below link can also be applicable to Windows 10.

Clean boot disclaimer: A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows. You may also troubleshoot or determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot. You must log on to the computer as an administrator to be able to perform a clean boot. Your computer may temporarily lose some functionality when you perform a clean boot. When you start the computer normally, the functionality returns. However, you may receive the original error message, or experience the original behavior if the problem still exists. If the computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may prevent you from following these steps.

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Once you perform clean boot do refer to the section “How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting” to boot the computer in normal mode.

If you the issue still persist, refer to the below method.

Method 4: If you are still unable to upgrade to Windows 10. Then I suggest you to try to use the create Media installation tool in the below Microsoft Help Article and try upgrading to Windows 10. Chose the option as Upgrade from the Media creation tool.

Before upgrading to Windows 10, I suggest you take a backup of important files and folders on external hard disk.

With Regards,
Xovo Larjem

Get back to us for further assistance on Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

Ask a Question