SOLVED Trying to sign into microsoft account: "Something went wrong. Try again or select cancel..."

Reaction score
I got a new Asus laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed. I set everything up, but I keep getting the message "Something went wrong" when I try to sign into my Microsoft account through the computer. I have logged into the account on my old computer which has been upgraded to Windows 10. I have verified that my internet connection is working properly. I tried restarting my computer, then checking the boxes for "Use SSL 2.0" and "... 3.0", and I have even reset the computer and attempted everything from the beginning. None of this has made a difference and I still get that same message when I try to sign into it. How do I fix this?

Reaction score
I also just tried adding another account to the computer as I read in another thread, but that account gets the same message as well.

Reaction score
Ok, so I fixed this myself, but I am going to leave this up because I haven't seen any replies that suggest it. I found that my date and clock were way off, even though it was set to the right time zone. I unclicked the auto-detect time icon and re-clicked it, and it found the right date and time. Somehow, this fixed my Microsoft sign-in error.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Nice work and thanks for sharing your solution with the forum.
Much appreciated.

Ask a Question