Trying to convert a concert DVD to MP3 with VLC, getting (almost) gibberish.

Reaction score
I have a Jimmy Buffett concert DVD that plays great (video) with VLC music player. I'm trying to convert the files to MP3 so I can burn a CD and play it in my car. I've read the directions so many times I almost have them memorized, and I've watched VLC's video on YouTube, but after doing the conversion and playing the music back on VLC, it sounds like it's double-time, the playback is twice the speed of the recording-almost gibberish.

I wonder if there's a setting to control that-or if I changed some setting w/o realizing it to cause that. I'm open to ideas or suggestions. TIA

Larry aka Charliedog
Bristol, TN

Reaction score
I have done this but some time ago. I think I used iTunes to rip the audio disc and then Audacity to generate the tracks in MP3 format. It certainly worked. But I just don't remember the details.

I did it once before to load stereo cassettes of spoken books but that was with a stereo to mono cable from an ancient cassette player into the line input of the PC.

Reaction score
I use Total Recorder to record any audio that can be set to record what comes through the speakers, does a good job. It's not free but not expensive either. If there's too much length the result can be trimmed to get the beginning and ending where desired. The only issue is remembering to turn off system sounds so I don't get extraneous material.

Ask a Question