Trying to open this file from another computer was unsuccessful.

Reaction score
I was analyzing the data and when I had almost finished the report on the resources used in MS Project 2016. The system crashed due to a power outage and I can not open the file with my work and send it to the boss. The program tells me about the error - Project can not recognize this file format. Do you want to open this file only as text? Trying to open this file from another computer was unsuccessful. I do not have any good idea how to cope with this trouble.

Reaction score
Most times a power failure can and will corrupt files, leaves one having to try to get a new copy if it came from someone else or starting from scratch. I use 2 protections, one is a UPS backup power supply and the other is to copy all downloads/foreign source files on a different drive. Most times folks have success if the auto save feature in a program is turned on, Word and Excel have it, don't know about Project.

Reaction score
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/323330

To restore the Project Server database, you can use the restore feature of Microsoft SQL Server. To do this, follow these steps for repair mpp:
1. Click Start, click AllPrograms, click Microsoft SQL Server, and then click SQL Server Management Studio.
2. In the Connect to Server dialog, the Server Type should be "Database Engine". Check the Server name and Authentication and make changes if needed, then click the Connect button.
3. Expand SQL Server if needed and then expand Databases.
4. Right-click the database, point to All Tasks, and then click Restore then click Database.
5. From the list of backups, click the backup to restore, and then click OK to start the restore.
6. Click OK to confirm that the restore completed successfully.

Ask a Question