Cannot Open or View ANY disk drives or change settings in Explorer!

Reaction score
All of a sudden, when I try to view any or all disk drives by double-clicking their icons on the desktop, NONE of them will open or display. What I always get instead is the error message: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

I get the same error when I try to run any *.msc or control panel. When I choose Settings instead of Control Panel, nothing happens at all. I get it even if I simply double-click "This Computer"!

I'm running 64-bit Windows 10 Pro 1803, and since there are no other users, my user account is an administrator account. Which means this almost certainly isn't actually a permission problem at all. Even if it was, since I cannot open any disk drive, I can't examine or change the owner/permissions.

When I looked up what might be causing this error, none of the alleged "explanations" fit what I'm seeing. Here's what Microsoft has to say about this error...

1: Check the permission of the file or folder: I can't! At least not in Explorer.

2: Check the file location: There can be no doubt as to where my disk drives are!

3: Make sure that the file has not been moved or deleted: I know with certainty that my disk drives are right where they've always been.

4: Recreate the shortcut to check for corruption:
These are not shortcuts.

5: Unblock the file:
My disk drives are not "blocked".

6: Check to see if your antivirus software is blocking the file:
Due to an unrelated issue (some process was deleting a few Nirsoft.net executable files whenever I extracted then from a zip file - I have now solved that), I have uninstalled all anti-malware tools on the computer in question. In fact, the very reason I booted up was to re-install them, which I obviously cannot do when Explorer can't find any of my disk drives! In any case, I ran the latest MBAM and found no malware.

For the heck of it, I ran SFC, and it didn't find any problems.

What's going on? What can I do?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hi Vern11,

are there any unusual signs showing in Disk Management?. ;););)

upload_2018-11-14_6-30-42.png

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
In "Disk Management" if you select one of your lettered drives, then right click and from the context menu choose Open.....
Do you still get the same result??

I'm a little confused
when I try to view any or all disk drives by double-clicking their icons on the desktop
4: Recreate the shortcut to check for corruption: These are not shortcuts.
IF they are not shortcuts (links / pointers), what are they or what do you call them??
AND
What means or method did you employ to place these "icons" on your desktop?

Ask a Question