Why can I see the thumbnails of photos contained in a folder but cannot open and view them?

Reaction score
I am not very skilled with computers in general but even more clueless with the recent change from Windows XP to Windows 10. When I got my laptop back from tech he had saved all my pictures and documents-most photos appear in the "my photos" section. Since then, I have imported photos from my iphone a few times and didn't look to see where it said they were being saved. After much unnecessary (for most) searching, I found them in folders located after searching "my documents". Below "pictures" it has 3 empty yellow folders with dates beside them. When I click on any of those folders the file with all the photos with thumbnails comes up. Instead of the usual "jpeg" with a number under the thumbnail, these have "IMG_" and a number below and when I right click and choose "open"- it immediately opens a screen titled "photos" and then NOTHING. Within 30 seconds the entire box disappears and it returns to the file contents with all the thumbnails. Even as a novice-that tells me the photos are there. Why can't I open any of them and how can I fix it. Please make the instructions clear and simple...I'm having enough trouble as it is. Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Right click one of the problem image files in file explorer and from the context menu choose Open with -> Paint
Does it open as expected or does it offer an error message of any type?

Ask a Question