Previews and or thumbnails missing on second internal disk

Reaction score
I bought a Dell XPS 8930 that came with Windows 10 Home in March of this year, 2018. Windows 10 Version is1709 OS Build 16299.371. I installed a Seagate internal drive as a second drive and labelled it D:. The capacity is 2 T and only a quarter of that is used. The problem, as stated in the title, is that thumbnails may or may not appear. Previews never appear unless I first open a file with Windows Photo Viewer and even then sometimes they do not appear. The thumbnails are also hit and miss. The files are almost exclusively JPGs. All files are under a OneDrive folder so a typical folder path is D:\OneDrive\D_Drive\uniqueFoldername. I do not have this problem on the C: drive.
My research shows many issues and solutions for similar problems with previews and thumbnails on the C: (primary) drive. I have applied those as best I could with negative results. I have found no such solutions for a second internal drive.
I appreciate any help I can get on this. Thanks for your time.

Reaction score
I can use the View tab in File Explorer and choose the Layout options, there's several. When I get the view I want I then click Options, View tab and can apply that setting to All Folders or choose Reset Folders. I'd check if the Reset gets things working. And I get the same results whether the drives are Internal, External USB or NAS/Network Attached Storage drives.

Reaction score
I can use the View tab in File Explorer and choose the Layout options, there's several. When I get the view I want I then click Options, View tab and can apply that setting to All Folders or choose Reset Folders. I'd check if the Reset gets things working. And I get the same results whether the drives are Internal, External USB or NAS/Network Attached Storage drives.

Reaction score
I have posted the following image to clarify your suggestion and what I have done. I am afraid that your suggestion has no effect. I clicked View tab then Options pull-down on the far right side then reset. No change. I then unchecked "Display file icon on thumbnails." No effect. Note in the image shown here hat some files have thumbnails and some do not. Whether or not the preview panel has an image is not related to the thumbnail. Note that the Preview Pane selection on the left side of the heading under View tab is selected. When I select the other option, Details Pane, I in fact get the details text and may or may not get the thumbnail that should appear on top of the text. That thumbnail may or may not be the image and it's presence is unrelated to a thumbnail showing on the main file name panel.

upload_2018-7-9_6-24-49.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-9_6-23-41.png
    upload_2018-7-9_6-23-41.png
    300.3 KB · Views: 581
Reaction score
Can you open one of those files with the generic/default icon in Paint/MSPaint [Start, W section, Windows Accessories]? If not they may be corrupted and Windows doesn't know how to handle them. If they do open try saving with a 1-character difference in the file name and see if the display/Preview changes.

Reaction score
The files can be opened by any appropriate software, The issue is that previews are not present until they are opened with Microsoft Photos and sometimes the thumbnails are not present.

Ask a Question