Disk Management Question

Reaction score
Partition.PNG
When i decided to look at my disk partition arrangement, It came out with a surprise.

In the "E" partition, the Recovery partition capacity shows shows 13.09 GB,
Free Space shows 833 MB,
while % Free shows 6%.

Disk partition "0", shows a total capacity of 260 MB,
Free Space is 260 MB and
% free shows 100% Free.

The Windows partition is what I expected, and also the Main Storage partition

Is there an explanation for this?

Thank you

Reaction score
What I see is the possibility, based upon size, that Disk 0 could be an SSD/Solid State Drive or M.2 drive and the manufacturer added a 2TB HDD/Hard Disk Drive for storage and put the Factory Restore partition E: on it. Normally [in my experience] the Restore partition doesn't have a drive letter assigned, no need for the user to have direct access but uses a feature included by the manufacturer to access that partition to do a Factory Restore, puts the computer back to it's new condition .

Reaction score
You are correct wit respect to the SSD and 2T disks.
But that doesn't tell me why the indicater shows 199 free. That sounds backward to me. It seems to me the SSD should show 0% free.

Reaction score
You are correct wit respect to the SSD and 2T disks.
But that doesn't tell me why the indicater shows 199 free. That sounds backward to me. It seems to me the SSD should show 0% free.
A drive should never show 0% free, would mean it's too full of data and more than likely crash. It should show something about the Size of the drive, how much has been used then how much is free space.

Some of the partitions may be set be the installer [Windows or the Manufacturer/Vendor] to not allow adding more data, an example is seen with an ODD [Optical drive/CD-R or DVD-R discs] which are Recordable, Once and normally can't have more data added.

Reaction score
Just focus on disk 0, partition 1. Capacity = 260MB, Free space = 260 MB, PerCent Free = 100%
I am going to bed now. Hopefully I won't dream of partitions .

Reaction score
If you notice, the 260 MB partition which is the EFI System, does not show a formatting scheme, even though it is FAT32. The special Critical partitions will not always give accurate data and will always show 100% free.

Basically, the user does not need to know and should never need to access. The letter on the Recovery partition allow the system to use it, which should not be done.

Reaction score
You can get more detailed information by using Mini-Tool Partition Wizard Free.
It is far superior to Windows Disk Management.

Reaction score
Mini-Tool Partition Wizard Free.
It is far superior to Windows Disk Management.
Beware of modifying partitions which affect boot sequence. This from one who had to resort to a Dell reinstallation disk after stupid use of Mini-Tool.

Ask a Question