Help! Unable to Extend Volume for OS(C:) in Disk Management

Reaction score
Hi. Recently I have received this message about not enough storage on my OC (C: ). So I searched it up for help and made changes to some of my files such as MyDocuments. I changed the location of it to my other disk (D: )..
However, after a few days I get that message again so I have searched it up again and now I would need help on merging my extra space from other drive into OS(C: ).
Perhaps looking at the image attached would explain my situation better than my English

My OC(C: ) Is only 119 GB and its almost full, yet I have plenty of storage in "Disk 2" as my "Data 2" File is empty.

Attachments

• Partitions.png
    Partitions.png
    64.6 KB · Views: 690

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
You do not have any unallocated space remaining on Disk 0, in which to extent partition C.
There are some steps you can take to reclaim some space on Drive C by
1. Disk CleanUp
2. Reducing the space allocated for System Restore Points
3. Reducing the space allocated for page / swap file
4. Eliminating hiberfil.sys
BUT.... probably the best thing you could do is look into acquiring a new larger hard disk and then cloning the current Disk 0 to it and replacing Disk 0 with that.

Reaction score
That C: looks like an 128 GB SSD. Buy a 256 or 480 GB SSD and clone your C: onto it. Takes an hour or two if you use good cloning software like Paragon for example. In older versions of Windows you could move the page file onto another drive...I don't know if W10 permits that.

Reaction score
Thank you for your replies, yes it is a 128GB SSD, but does it mean that it is not possible to use that extra storage located in Disk 1 and I'm stuck with 128 GB unless I spent money for a bigger SSD? (Just bought this laptop a month ago so I'm pretty much broke for anything)

Reaction score
Do you know what is taking up the space on your SSD? As was mentioned, you can't extend C: to another device.

If you don't open Settings - System and then Storage. You can set where certain types of files are stored but you can also select one of the partitions shown on the top of the page and it will break down what types of files and how much space is used.

If you aren't aware of what is taking the space, you may have some type of problem which is eating up space.

Since the Windows 10 install appears to be an upgrade, is there any chance you might want to do a clean install of Windows 10. But a new larger drive, as suggested, may be best.

Reaction score
Your 128 SSD is not enough, and clone it to another disk is the best way. In your situation, you can clone disk0 to disk1 so as to solve the problem of insufficient space. A software is really helpful, and AOMEI Backupper is good -another software from AOMEI.

Ask a Question