Please look at the enclosed screenshot of Disk Management

Reaction score
The version of Windows 10 labeled as such is the primary version of Windows 10 that has all my programs and most of the data points to the drive D:

The version of Window 10 called 'Windows 10 Clean Install' is part of the dual boot which has no programs. I only use it for experimentation. If I have to, to accomplish what I want to do, I can delete that version of Window 10 for now.

I am told that 'Windows 10', according to a techy guy, looks as if it is the secondary version of Windows and 'Windows 10 Clean Install' is the active version. Apparently that is contrary to what I want. I would like 'Windows 10' to be the active version.

Then, I would like to perform a repair install on 'Windows 10' - the active version.

Once that is complete, I would still like to have a second version of Windows 10 for experimentation and I would call it 'Windows 10 Clean Install.' It would be an inactive version of Windows 10. Of course, I would like to keep both versions up-to-date through, at least the Anniversary version plus any subsequent updates. These two versions would be in a dual boot.

Disk Management screenshot below: Can anyone please guide me? I have a disk image backup of both Drive C: and Drive D: I also might have a Boot Manager Editor - I am looking now.

Disk Management Screenshot 07.04.2017.jpg

Reaction score
Sorry to hijack the thread but I have a similar problem, I see active on the external hard drive with no OS. Computer working fine & I only have one OS Windows 10 Pro.
Do I need to 'fix' this with the above solution?
Here's what I'm seeing.
Capture.jpeg

Reaction score
Sorry to hijack the thread but I have a similar problem, I see active on the external hard drive with no OS. Computer working fine & I only have one OS Windows 10 Pro.
Do I need to 'fix' this with the above solution?
Here's what I'm seeing.
View attachment 6435
HI,

from what I can see you don't need to do anything as I assume that "F" is a removal drive and Windows is installed on "C", you also have a recovery partition and a boot partition which look normal to me!. :)

Reaction score
I may be able to help - but, first, I'm making an image of my drive. You should, too, before making any changes such as what I'm going to suggest. Let me know when you have an image. I use Macrium Reflect (there is a free version). You should also check your emergency startup disk and image before proceeding with any changes. I always recommend having two external backup drives and several emergency boot disks to go along with the imaging program you use. When my image is complete, I'm going to try what I'm going to suggest so I don't steer you in the wrong direction. Please start a new post and include the Disk Managment screenshot above. I was able to change the active drive on my system - but forgot exactly how I did it. I just want to be sure, I'm pretty good with computers - but not nearly as good as the gurus that are helping me.

Reaction score
Thanks to @Wolfie I'm satisfied there's no problem.
One thing I did read when looking this problem up is that if your drive is .gpt then you'll not see active. I don't know whether that is true, will check with my other .gpt drive which has my Macrium backups.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I see active on the external hard drive with no OS. Computer working fine & I only have one OS Windows 10 Pro.
Do I need to 'fix' this
Probably not, as long as you can boot the system without the external drive attached then there likely isn't an issue, although I can't imagine why that drive is marked as "Active" unless it may have once hosted an operating system.
One thing I did read when looking this problem up is that if your drive is .gpt then you'll not see active.
That is correct as you can see by the image below, my Disk 0 which is GPT / EFI is not marked as "Active"

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
You can change your C: drive to active by doing this:

In Disk Management, Right click on the C: drive. One of the options in the dropdown menu is "Make active." Left click on that choice in that drop down menu. Done!

Reaction score
Probably not, as long as you can boot the system without the external drive attached then there likely isn't an issue, although I can't imagine why that drive is marked as "Active" unless it may have once hosted an operating system.

That is correct as you can see by the image below, my Disk 0 which is GPT / EFI is not marked as "Active"

View attachment 6441
The only thing the drive has been used for is for Norton backup & File History. It's set up as .mbr.

Reaction score
HI Bastet,

I think that you should not be using the MBR partition for back-ups as its sole purpose is to house the "Master Boot Record" and should not be used for anything else, certainly not for AV back-ups, create and use a different partition for such things!. This may not apply if you are using "GPT" but I don't really know?. :)

Reaction score
HI Bastet,

I think that you should not be using the MBR partition for back-ups as its sole purpose is to house the "Master Boot Record" and should not be used for anything else, certainly not for AV back-ups, create and use a different partition for such things!. This may not apply if you are using "GPT" but I don't really know?. :)

Hi @Wolfie, I will check on that, I know it's not gpt as when I bought it I just began using it, I have formatted it since but just used the 'quick format' option. Under diskpart it doesn't mention gpt or mbr.
My Macrium backup drive partition is gpt.

Reaction score
Hello Bastet: Please start your own thread. I am waiting for a reply and I think my request has been lost in this hijacking. I probably made it worse by trying to help you. Shame on me.

Reaction score
No worries Nisko I'm satisfied with the solution offered here. I will start my own thread if I need more advice.

Reaction score
Please don't hijack someone's thread again. It's rude and causes much confusion. I have lost continuity of my own issue and, now, have to try and re-contact those who were trying to help me. You probably think that what you did was minor - but I have a major issue on my computer and, now, I'm lost again. I accept your apology - but I hope you learn proper etiquette from this issue. Please don't reply to this post as it will only cause more confusion.

Reaction score
I do apologise as I did when I posted, I thought my problem may have been related.
I will not be posting again!

Ask a Question