Bios sees new HD, but Disk Management does not

Reaction score
I have Win10 on a 1TB HD, bought a brand new Seagate 1TB HD, installed it, started the computer, went into the BIOS and both HDs are seen clearly and are correctly identified with their names and sizes etc.

So after starting Win 10, I went into Disk Management, and there was no sign of the second HD. So I ran "Rescan Disks" which did nothing! So I then tried running Device Manager. Right clicked and ran "scan for hardware changes". Nothing!

I saw a post which suggested running the memory test which said it fixed his problem with seeing the HD, but this did not work either.

PLEASE HELP

Reaction score
Did you see both disks in Device manager? I see my two internal disks, 4 card readers and my external (USB3 connected) disk under Device manager all under the 'Disk drives' heading. If the new disk is there it would be worth checking the properties.

It might be worth unplugging the PC from the wall, counting to 30 and then starting up.
it Might also be worth checking that the SATA and power cables are both firmly connected. I would have Disk 0 ( the original disk) in SATA 0, the new disk in SATA 1 and if you have a DVD that in SATA 2.

Reaction score
Did you see both disks in Device manager? I see my two internal disks, 4 card readers and my external (USB3 connected) disk under Device manager all under the 'Disk drives' heading. If the new disk is there it would be worth checking the properties.

It might be worth unplugging the PC from the wall, counting to 30 and then starting up.
it Might also be worth checking that the SATA and power cables are both firmly connected. I would have Disk 0 ( the original disk) in SATA 0, the new disk in SATA 1 and if you have a DVD that in SATA 2.

Ok, just after I posted, I discovered that in fact Device Manager DID find both drives. I posted too quickly. HOWEVER, although Disk Manage now showed both drives, the new one was marked "not initialised", so I right clicked, selected "Initialise disk" and after a while a pop up called Virtual Disk Manager with a big red X said "The device is not connected" Clicked OK. So what do I do now??? Properties by the way says "This device is working properly"

Reaction score
I would have clicked on Format . I have never seen 'Initialise disk' but then I have not started a brand new disk since before W10 except when loading W10.

Reaction score
I would have clicked on Format . I have never seen 'Initialise disk' but then I have not started a brand new disk since before W10 except when loading W10.

I tried that too - BEFORE trying to initialise. (Quick format only) That failed, and then I realised the drive had not been initialised, which some posts in Google say, MUST be done first, before trying to use the drive. So that's when I tried the Initialise.

Reaction score
A new disk needs to be configured, which the Initialization does. Did you select GPT or MBR for that?

Once the drive is accessible you need to add a partition and then format that partition and then add the drive letter.

Reaction score
purchased a new 1TB external HD a few months back. Disk manager called for initializing before I could use the drive1TB after installing. Right click and initialized with Win 10 no problem.

Ask a Question