Cant access Bios to reinstall windows.

Reaction score
I am trying to reinstall windows on my Dell Inspiron 580 Desktop PC. I have downloaded the media creation tool and prepared a bootab;le USB stick. However using F12 or F2 the optioons that pop up when I first power up I can't get into the Bios.

Reaction score
What do you want to do in the BIOS?? F2 should get you in the BIOS (according to the service manual).
F12 will start the boot manager. Just plug in your usb stick and start your pc pressing F12 immediately. You then should get the option to boot either from your hard drive, your optical drive or your USB drive. highlight USB and press enter. That should start the installation process.

Here is an cutout from the manual:

Changing Boot Sequence for the Current Boot
You can use this feature, for example, to tell the computer to boot from the CD drive so that you can run the Dell Diagnostics on the Drivers and Utilities media,
but you want the computer to boot from the hard drive when the diagnostic tests are complete. You can also use this feature to restart your computer to a
USB device such as a floppy drive, memory key, or CD-RW drive.
1. If you are booting to a USB device, connect the USB device to a USB connector.

2. Turn on (or restart) your computer.

3. When F2 = Setup, F12 = Boot Options appears on the screen, press <F12>.
If you wait too long and the operating system logo appears, continue to wait until you see the Microsoft Windows desktop. Then shut down your
computer and try again.
The Boot Device Menu appears, listing all available boot devices.
4. Use the up-or down-arrow keys to select the current boot device and press <Enter>.
For example, if you are booting to a USB memory key, highlight USB Flash Device and press <Enter>.

Reaction score
No amount of speed at rapidly pressing F2 or F12 will get me into the bios it goes to a screen with 4 pales blue window panes and rotating white dots and just hangs there. I want to boot from the usb stick to reinstall windows.

Reaction score
If you can't get in to the boot manager, and you need to reinstall right now, just go in to settings/update & security/recovery, and chose the reset this pc. Not a solution to your issue of getting in the the bios or boot manager, but at least you can get windows reinstalled.

Reaction score
Also a suggestion, more than a solution. Open ms config and switch to the option to start on safe mode. It might give you more flexibility to boot into the USB.

Reaction score
With Windows running I've reinstalled Win10 several times from File Explorer and the setup.exe file on the USB drive, had a choice of Upgrading or fresh install with removing everything.

Ask a Question