Can't left-click on start button

Reaction score
I've searched the forums for help with my start button not working when I left click. The right click works fine.

I've tried the sfc /scannow on Command Prompt (admin) and the result was nothing detected. I understand that to mean the problem lies elsewhere?

Then I tried the same sort of task typing in powershell, then the following:-
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

When it was running it came up with 67 'activities not showing' (or something like that!). Looked like they were all apps? The advice was to try the start button when it finished. Nothing. I restarted the laptop, still nothing. I don't know what to try next.

In fact I didn't even know the 'window' on left bottom should show anything. I figured out by right clicking I could turn the computer on/off and just assumed that was the way!! It was only when I had to try to change the 'default' settings so I could open my photos with Windows Viewer that I realised. Then I wanted to change from Bing to Google as default and had to do it in a roundabout way. I have no Microsoft Edge icon either anywhere although when I go to a website through another email it always comes up.

I can find my way round my laptop reasonably well but I am not computer literate!! If anyone can help, in 'plain English' I will be grateful forever!! I hope this doesn't sound like gobbledegoop - I've tried to explain in the only way I can.

The other thing is that I used to be able to swipe in from right corner to get all my apps. Now I can't. I have a Sony Vaio laptop which had Windows 8.1 and I upgraded to W10 when prompted it was ready for my computer. About 6 weeks ago? My laptop is only 2 years old and has been great.......until now.....!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Trisha and welcome to the forum.
Would you mind creating a new user to test to see if the problem you are experiencing is unique to your user profile and does not impact another or new user.
A simple way of doing it is ......
Right click the Start Button and choose Command Prompt (Admin) and in the command prompt type
net user JohnSmith /add
hit enter
then type
net localgroup administrators JohnSmith /add
hit enter
type
exit
hit enter
Restart and log in as JohnSmith

NOTE: "JohnSmith" as used above is just an example, you can use Chauncey, Heathcliff or Horatio it doesn't make any difference (it's just a test account that you can get rid of later) just keep it simple and if you substitute a name in the first command line, make sure you use it in the second.

Reaction score
Hi,

Thank you for your help.

OK, I tried your way but it didn't work so I went into user settings (or something like that) and added a new user - my husband who's name is.....John Smith!! That worked.

I restarted my computer, then logged in with his name/password. It loaded up a whole lot of stuff and voila! on his a/c the left click works. Of course, I recognised it as having been on mine until a couple of weeks ago (I've been too busy to notice, obviously).

I logged out as him and re-logged in as me. Nope, still won't work on my a/c.

It must have uninstalled itself during an update perhaps??? Except I've noticed 000's of people having issues with it.

If I change my name (I am the administrator) will I still be able to access all my stuff??? Or is there another way round it? I have almost resigned myself to managing without it now....!

Reaction score
Oh, sorry, an addition.
I created a new user. Not a local group administrator. I don't remember seeing anything like that when I created my husband as a new user?? Sorry, I think I'm a bit confused.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I tried your way but it didn't work
Why didn't it work? Did you get an error? If so what did the error say?
I created a new user. Not a local group administrator. I don't remember seeing anything like that when I created my husband as a new user??
There are basically two types of users that you can create on a Windows 10 machine.
1. A "Standard User" who is not a member of the local administrator's group
AND
2. A user who has the "Administrator" designation when you "Manage Another Account"
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts\Manage Accounts

It's very important that you maintain at least one Admin User at all times. Standard users are very limited in what they can do. They can even launch an admin command prompt with entering the admin user's password.

You should be able to click your new account and then use the link just to the left that says "Change the account type" to switch between Standard and Admin and back again.

If your profile is corrupt (and it seems that it may be) you may have to copy over your profile items from your old profile into a new one.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-corrupted-user-profile#1TC=windows-7
The technique described for Windows 7 remains basically the same for Windows 10.
You'll need a third admin profile at least temporarily as you can not be logged in as either the user you are copying from or to, during the process.

It's a pain, I know but unfortunately I don't have anything better to offer right now. Maybe the next round of updates might fix what they broke in this previous round, who knows.

Reaction score
2nd update!!!

I tried your instructions again. This time I left spaces where I hadn't before and this time it worked.

Restarted computer and it loaded stuff the same as with the new user a/c. Left click/apps worked perfectly.

Closed down, started it up again and it automatically came up with JohnSmith, not even a choice this time! (Perhaps I didn't leave it long enough before starting again?). Anyway, found by right-clicking the name on the start menu I could reactivate my own profile.

Still won't work, though. Also I've lost the ME symbol I noticed?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Closed down, started it up again and it automatically came up with JohnSmith, not even a choice this time!
Yes.... since we created JohnSmith, without a password, if he was the last user to log on he will auto login when the system is restarted.
As you found you should be able to just click the account name at the top of the start menu and log him off. You can also go into Control Panel User Accounts and give him a password to prevent the auto login and then you'll see your other accounts at the bottom left of the sign in screen to choose from.

Reaction score
Thank you. At least now we have pinpointed where the problem is. Like you say, maybe the next round of updates will fix it??? I've just had a quick look around this forum and it seems to be a common problem - with various solutions.

I feel I've wasted so much time on this (3 days, on and off, this week!!) BUT I've learnt quite a lot, too! A bonus, I suppose. When I've got more time I'll try the copying over to a new profile. I'd prefer to do it with my husband/son sitting right next to me whilst I do!!!

Life can go on without the start menu/apps - at least I can use my laptop for what I need it for.
You've been so helpful. Thank you for all your time. If I do magically get a solution I'll let you know.

Reaction score
Ah, well, it's me again! Thought I'd leave things alone and manage without a start button left-click and apps.
But I couldn't help myself digging a bit further - just out of curiosity, you know - when I came across a tip for the TileLayer database.

I followed the instructions, setting up 2 temp admin a/c's. Then replacing my tile layer database with one from 2nd temp a/c. Restarted computer and left-click worked!!!! Before getting too excited, though, the apps weren't there. Nor the Settings link. BUT Cortana worked so it cured that part of the task bar. Also, I could access Edge (which had disappeared altogether).

So I thought I'd not done it quite right and tried it again, replacing the database in the same way. However, this time, there was hardly anything on the left click start button. Even Edge had disappeared. I decided I was playing with stuff I really didn't understand here - I'm no programmer, even though I used to do a bit on my own website before WordPress came along!

I called a 24/7 help line that I subscribe to who help me with any technical issues. I explained it and they said I needed to set up a new user and copy everything over (exactly what you said, Trouble). We tried copying files/folder with Google Drive but I just got into a mess, never having used it before. So, gave up!!! I was far too stressed.

They also said that they would try to help me with the TileLayer database BUT not before I had copied all my stuff on to a USB stick. If it didn't work then they'd help me set up a new user for me.

Now, all that is fine and I guess I'll have to do it even though it will mess up my computer no end (I remember doing it before, setting back to factory settings, and I had to buy new programs and configure SO many things. Took me days..weeks....).

It just seems such a lot of effort JUST for some apps that I probably won't use anyway. The most important element, to me, that's missing is the Settings. Without it I can't find how to check on updates. I did find updates had 'failed' when I used one of the other a/c's and clicked 'Try again'. It went on for 2 hours!! V1511, 10586.

Does anyone know if the 'faulty' TileLayer database will affect anything else apart from apps? If not, I'll probably leave it well alone and manage without apps. The 'most recent' settings are loading well.

Reaction score
I've searched the forums for help with my start button not working when I left click. The right click works fine.

I've tried the sfc /scannow on Command Prompt (admin) and the result was nothing detected. I understand that to mean the problem lies elsewhere?

Then I tried the same sort of task typing in powershell, then the following:-
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

When it was running it came up with 67 'activities not showing' (or something like that!). Looked like they were all apps? The advice was to try the start button when it finished. Nothing. I restarted the laptop, still nothing. I don't know what to try next.

In fact I didn't even know the 'window' on left bottom should show anything. I figured out by right clicking I could turn the computer on/off and just assumed that was the way!! It was only when I had to try to change the 'default' settings so I could open my photos with Windows Viewer that I realised. Then I wanted to change from Bing to Google as default and had to do it in a roundabout way. I have no Microsoft Edge icon either anywhere although when I go to a website through another email it always comes up.

I can find my way round my laptop reasonably well but I am not computer literate!! If anyone can help, in 'plain English' I will be grateful forever!! I hope this doesn't sound like gobbledegoop - I've tried to explain in the only way I can.

The other thing is that I used to be able to swipe in from right corner to get all my apps. Now I can't. I have a Sony Vaio laptop which had Windows 8.1 and I upgraded to W10 when prompted it was ready for my computer. About 6 weeks ago? My laptop is only 2 years old and has been great.......until now.....!

My sister and I had the same issue. I spent hours online looking for ways to fix it and nothing helped. My sister found a way that worked for both of us (her using pc, me using a laptop), Now, I know this isn't the best thing to do for a computer but I couldn't get to certain programs so I gave it a try, even though it sounded idiotic and like it wouldn't work. While it's logged in to a user, pull the plug and cut off power. In other words, hard crash it. If you're using a laptop, unplug it and pull the battery while it's running. Our issues were alittle different, she couldn't left click anything and certain parts of her system were glitching out. For me, I just couldn't use left click for the start menu or anything on the right of the taskbar. But this solution worked for both of us. I'm glad she told me before I backed all my data up and tried to make a new administrative account cause it saved me a ton of time and frustration. Like I said, I know hard crashing a computer/laptop isn't good for it, but it did work. Give it a try if you want, maybe it'll work for you too.

I actually have posted this on 2 threads now since it worked for my sister and I and didn't feel like retyping everything so I just copied and pasted. Maybe it'll work for you like it did for us. If you don't wanna try it, that's fine but it doesn't sound as bad for a pc as messing in the files you have been is so I suggest you give it a go. Let me know if it works cause I'm curious as to how many people this will work for. Which also brings the question that if it does work well for most people, then what is wrong in Windows 10 that makes this solution work?

Reaction score
As I just said in another thread, I have had the same problem for some time. It was first on my husband's laptop. I did some maintenance there and it had a start button that worked again. Then my laptop had it happen. I tried many things to no avail. I set up a new user so I could access stuff.

Then yesterday we had to uninstall and then reinstall a new printer and lo and behold my laptop is functioning properly again.

There are lots of reports of people uninstalling programs and having that work.

Reaction score
As I just said in another thread, I have had the same problem for some time. It was first on my husband's laptop. I did some maintenance there and it had a start button that worked again. Then my laptop had it happen. I tried many things to no avail. I set up a new user so I could access stuff.

Then yesterday we had to uninstall and then reinstall a new printer and lo and behold my laptop is functioning properly again.

There are lots of reports of people uninstalling programs and having that work.

I see, I suppose this could work but the issues I found with it (just in reference to what my problem seemed to be and how it was fixed, I am in no way speaking for everyone who has had this problem so keep that in mind) is that if you're referring to the issue being because of a new program being installed then it wouldn't work for me because I haven't installed anything new in months and this problem (which was fixed by hard crashing my laptop somehow) appeared around the last update which was about the end of December of last year.

I'm not in any means trying to be rude, I'm just trying to help figure out what's going on.

The issue I find with uninstalling things to see if that works is that would take hours upon hours to figure out which, if any, programs are messing with the system. If your solution is indeed the definitive answer to fixing the problem then that means there is something wrong with the Windows 10 operating system and how it communicates and reacts to other programs which isn't good and will be nearly impossible to be patched. The employees of Microsoft would have to try and test it with all forms of software, which there is an infinite amount of that all works in a different ways.

So far, what you said makes a lot of sense and seems like it could be the answer to what's going on since Windows 10 is still in its infancy and probably isn't properly linked up properly with some software, being it (older or newer) games, wireless or wired devices, ect. What you said does sound like a good place for the Microsoft employees to start though, and hopefully fix this problem once and for all.

Reaction score
I understand what you are saying and I did not want to uninstall programs either. I am pretty sure it was a Windows 10 update which caused my problem. I had to reinstall our new printer because it was acting up and doing that seemed to fix my laptop, at least for the moment.

Hard crashing my computer did not solve it for me.

I have been a few months reading various forums and it seems that Windows 10 is just plain temperamental. If it happens to me again when I have some time I will try a clean install. That involves later having to reinstall all your programs (which they now insist on calling apps) and some of these programs for me have data attached so I don't want to do that.

And yes Microsoft had better get this fixed.

Reaction score
I see. Though clean installing might not fix the problem. I've read some threads and some people have the same issue a few months after a clean install. Same thing happened with restoring to a previous restore point.

Personally, if this keeps up without the devs getting much fixed, I'll probably just switch back to Windows 7 which worked amazing for me before I upgraded, which seems to be a mistake after all the issues that have presented them self as of late. Though I don't think they provide support for Windows 7 anymore, but no support still seems to be better since Windows 7 was a far more stable operating system. But I'll hold off for a bit cause reinstalling everything is such a pain.

I sincerely hope you don't have to do a reinstall though, I know how annoying and painful they can be. Best we can do at this point is try and find ways that have worked to fix the issues and maybe with enough information gathered from us users, Microsoft will hopefully be able to fix it before too many people decide to give up and downgrade.

Reaction score
Yes, I could go back to W7 too.

I wonder how rich computer repair people are getting off Windows 10 these days?

Reaction score
Always try the simplest fixes first. I'm glad I did before attempting the mind-numbing convoluted solutions people love to come up with on forums like these. Among all the responses I found on the Internet, the simplest was this: Uninstall anti-virus, restart the computer, and reinstall the anti-virus. Success.

Just so you know, I had Windows 10 on my laptop for a few months and then all of a sudden the left-click didn't work on my Start button and on other icons in the system tray. By hovering over the Start button using my mouse with one hand, and then left-clicking using the laptop touchpad with my other hand, I was able to open the Control Panel and connect to the Internet. Then, I went to PandaSecurity.com, scrolled to the bottom of their home page, and in the footer, clicked "Free Antivirus 2016," followed the links to the download, and downloaded the totally free program to my hard drive.

I then went back to the Control Panel and uninstalled the free copy of Panda Antivirus that I already had on my laptop (to which I have a large-screen monitor, keyboard, and mouse hooked up). I also made sure that no other antivirus programs were still on my machine, like my expired copy of Norton 360. When I restarted my computer, my mouse worked just fine. I hopped back on the Internet and reinstalled Panda Antivirus from my newly downloaded copy, and that was a success, too, and my mouse still worked fine. I ran the Panda program, selecting to scan only the critical areas, and in a few minutes it scanned 73,000 files, and deleted a cookie. Mouse still worked fine. To make sure, I shut down my computer. Waited a minute. Started it back up. Everything fine.

Again, always try the simplest fixes first.

Reaction score
My sister and I had the same issue. I spent hours online looking for ways to fix it and nothing helped. My sister found a way that worked for both of us (her using pc, me using a laptop), Now, I know this isn't the best thing to do for a computer but I couldn't get to certain programs so I gave it a try, even though it sounded idiotic and like it wouldn't work. While it's logged in to a user, pull the plug and cut off power. In other words, hard crash it. If you're using a laptop, unplug it and pull the battery while it's running.

I have to say I was dubious about this advice, for obvious reasons, but I had a Win10 Ultrabook with these same symptoms and a hard-reset actually fixed it. I was so surprised and happy that I signed up for this forum just to +1 the advice and say Thanks Trista.

I can once again left-click the start button, missing desktop icons are magically back, etc.

strange but true.

Ask a Question