Setting Native windows 10 apps to open on startup

Reaction score
New Poster here. Please let me know if I'm doing this incorrectly.

Basically the title. I'm specifically trying to set the Alarms & Clock app to open on startup but whenever I right-click a windows 10 native app (alarms and clock, calculator, etc.) to open the file location under "more" where it is on other apps, it isn't there. Any insight on how I can work around this? Ideally, I'd like it if I could set a timer to auto-run from startup but I feel like I might be reaching for that one with my pretty limited technical knowledge. Thanks in advance for your help and time.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It's certainly do-able, but it's not easy ;).
  • Open File Explorer and browse to "shell:AppsFolder"
  • Find your native app (i.e. Alarms & Clock), right click it and create a shortcut (it'll send it to the desktop).
  • View the properties of the new shortcut and copy the "target" line for the app. It looks like Alarms & Clock has a target of:
    Microsoft.WindowsAlarms_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App
You can use this ID to run an app from the command line as follows:

Code:
explorer.exe shell:AppsFolder\Microsoft.WindowsAlarms_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App
The following method may also work:
Code:
shell:AppsFolder\Microsoft.WindowsAlarms_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App

Now that you've got the a path to run the app, you can use "Task Scheduler" to create a task which will run the path above to launch on boot, after a small delay. If you search for Task Scheduler in the search bar, the "Create task" wizard is quite self explanatory (the "trigger" is beginning the task at login, with a delay of your choice and the "action" is the 1st command line path from above). I'm happy to provide screenshots for this step if needed, just let me know :).

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
No problem :). Once you're run task scheduler (search for it in the search bar), here are the steps to take:

1) Click "Create Task" from the task scheduler side bar:

1.PNG

2) Give it a name of your choice:

2.PNG

3) Go to the "triggers" tab and add a new trigger. Select "at log on" and add a delay of your choosing and click OK:

3.PNG

4) Click the "Actions" tab to select and choose to "start a program". Use "explorer.exe" as the program name, with the argument "shell:AppsFolder\Microsoft.WindowsAlarms_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App" to signify the Alarms and Clock app. Click OK when you're done.

4.PNG

5) Save the task, then log off/on to test it :). I've tested it on my machine and it works well.

6) Pour yourself a well earned coffee :D.

Reaction score
Excellent tip and good clear and concise instructions. I am off for that coffee now. Enjoy yours.

Ask a Question