I have a metered internet connection but have problems because Windows is not updating

Reaction score
I have a Toshiba 64-bit laptop running Windows 10 Home version 1703, 8gb memory, 1T hard drive with about 400gb free.

I have a metered connection which causes Windows not to update everything. This morning I walked away from my computer for about a hour (you have to watch them every minute, evidently, LOL) and when I came back it had crashed and turned off. When I turned it back on, the disk usage went to 100% and stayed there for about an hour and then I got a popup message that an update had failed. I don't know that the crash and the failed update were related but I don't believe in coincidences.

I checked the Update History and there are a lot of failed updates for the past couple of months. I don't know if that is because of the updates not being done due to the metered connection or not.

I cannot find a place to manually download the updates. I did find the Windows Updates Settings window and it says Updates are available and then under that Downloading Updates but it's been sitting at zero percent for over an hour. So I don't think it's doing anything.

Or should I change it to non-metered so all updates are downloaded? The problem with that is that I get charged for every bite that is downloaded AND it slows my internet connection speed down to where I can pretty much forget doing anything on the internet. Neither one of those is my idea of a good time.

If I should change it to non-metered, where would I find that setting? I've spent the afternoon trying to find that with no luck.

I'm looking for suggestions for all these possibly related issues.

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
The idea of the metered connection ( to Microsoft) is that you would be using metered when you are out and about or on a cellular connection BUT they expect you to have a conventional always on connection at home. I know that there are some metered connections that seriously dislike long downloads and once you get to a few hundred megabytes on one download they reduce speed to dialup speeds. You could get round that by going to a library or a Starbucks. You can watch the network tab on task managers performance to see if that is the case.

You can download updates from the catalog ( the URL is on the forum somewhere) but you will want to do that on a machine with a non-metered connection as those updates are just as big.

Ask a Question