SOLVED Windows Updates Failing

Reaction score
2018-01 Cumulative Update for Windows version 1709 (KB4056892) (82) never successfully updated.
error 0x80240034

Now 2018-02 Cumulative Update for Windows version 1709 for x64 based systems (KB4074588) (46) tries to update and fails multiple times a day. Error 0x80070bc2. And yes, I have a 64 bit OS.

Reaction score
Update on the problem:
I ran the windows update troubleshooter and it said it found and fixed some problems, then said restart. It started installing 47 updates, then failed on step 2. Googling the error showed me any number of websites that want to sell software to fix the problem. I read some reviews and purchased ReImage, but it couldn't fix the problem either.

Reaction score
I have similar issues. Tried to install security updates but would then indicate windows needed to be updated. This kept looping several times a day. I would defer restarts to a better time.
Finally after a restart the surface logo would appear briefly, then it would briefly flash that it was restoring a previous version, then a 1/4 screen window would briefly appear and go away. The whole process would start over and repeat indefinitely. You have to hold power button for 30 seconds to turn it off. I also tried the 15 minute volume up and power button start. No joy.

Reaction score
I too have similar issue with fall creators update 1709. Attempts to install including first reboot. Gets to about 23% complete, screen goes black and laptop reboots, says unable to update and reverting to previous version. Has done this about 20 times so far.

Reaction score
I could not find a solution or get any help, so I did a restore. Of course, that fixed it, but I had to re-load my installed programs. All my other personal files and data were safe. Of course, I had backed them up just in case.

Reaction score
Microsoft said over a month ago that it knew update KB4074588 was installing successfully, but falsely reporting that it hadn't. They said the problem would be corrected in a future update. WHEN MICROSOFT?! I'm really tired of rebooting to finish installing the update because Windows tells me I must. Rebooting does no good, of course. It only wastes time and inspires false hope.

Reaction score
Having similar problems updating my Surface 3. Get "2018-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based systems (KB4093112) - Error 0x8e5e03fa" Have tried troubleshooter and about a dozen other fixes, including a malware download (and quick uninstall). Anybody got a real fix?

Reaction score
Well, I just got a "Windows 10 FORUM" email that said this problem was "Solved." It also says, "Solved" at the top of this page. Excuse me, Microsoft, but WHERE IS THE SOLUTION?!

Now Windows update is telling me, "Your device is at risk because it's out of date and missing important security and quality updates. Let's get you back on track so Windows can run more securely. Select this [RESTART] button to get going:"

Well, I've done that with no effect; it continues to tell me I must restart to finish installing KB4093112.

Reaction score
Thanks, Ben. Id already done that, but did it again just in case something had changed in the last week or so. Apparently, nothing has; the results were the same. I've also run the windows update troubleshooting/repair tool to no avail. I'll start a new thread eventually if I get no answers from Microsoft, but I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem, and I assume Microsoft will have to address it eventually.

Reaction score
Having similar issues with 2018-02 cumulative update for windows 10 version 1709 for x64-based systems (KB4074588): it hasn't tried to install the update since it failed when published, but my pc does shut down randomly and restarts itself with no notification - I don't know anything about computers and my brother has since moved after installing windows 10 for me, I have no idea what its doing so if there's any resolution to this update as windows has apparently solved? (Which I cant find a solution guide to follow.) Thank you.

Ask a Question