How can I make Windows 10 work correctly. Since I accepted the 'upgrade' to Window 10 my computer ba

Reaction score
Since I accepted the 'upgrade' to Window 10 my computer barely functions. It will not run many programs that I rely on and won't play MP4 videos. The worst part of the program is that the right half of the screen is constantly covered with pop up advertising. I can close a few hundred adverts and a few minutes later there are hundreds more. Most of the advice about disabling pop up adverts does not solve the type of pop up advertisements that are on my system. I have investigated this and the worst seem to be by 'FoxPush'. I spend ages every day trying to close advertisments - I would never buy anything from any of these junk adverts on principle and would love to have my computer running well like it did before the so called Windows 10 upgrade. Its not an operating system but more like a junk marketing system

Reaction score
I'd advise doing a clean install of Windows 10. I've never received any advertisements on any of my Windows 10 machines. And I have quite a few. I assume you have some adware/malware floating around on your PC. You could download and run Malwarebytes and AdwCleaner and see how much of an infection you have. There really is no substitute for a clean install of Windows. Especially if you had any underlying issues with the previous version.

Reaction score
I'd advise doing a clean install of Windows 10. I've never received any advertisements on any of my Windows 10 machines. And I have quite a few. I assume you have some adware/malware floating around on your PC. You could download and run Malwarebytes and AdwCleaner and see how much of an infection you have. There really is no substitute for a clean install of Windows though. Especially if you had any underlying issues with the previous version.

Reaction score
DITTO do a clean install and get your install USB created using the Microsoft Creator Tool MCT, there will be no advertising or malware connected with that Image, be sure to download your version Home or Pro 64 Bit and install UEFI if your BIOS supports it.
All these popups and malware are just that, they have nothing at all to do with Microsoft Windows 10. If you have a Notebook or tablet or even a desktop go to the manufacturer support website and download all the windows 10 drivers they have there to download. This is important if they don't have any windows 10 drivers that would be a solid clue that your computer does not support windows 10 and you should go back to windows 7 or 8.1 if your computer has support drives for that OS.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Reaction score
Thank you all for your thoughts. I guess I shouldn't have done the so called 'upgrade' and gone out and purchased a new version of windows 10. It was just that I was constantly bombarded with the offers of Windows 10 'free upgrades' - the worst thing I ever did as it seems they were contaminated with Malware. I had never had any pop up advertisement before moving to Windows 10. I installed several anti virus programs and they were useless.

Anyway it seems that there is no easy answer - revert to my older windows and then lash out on a new clean version of Windows 10. After this experience I think I would be reticent to ever use Windows 10 again. I really appreciate your efforts in offering advice. From my experience I would have to advise anyone to avoid any offer to switch to Windows 10 using an upgrade

Reaction score
Thank you all for your thoughts. I guess I shouldn't have done the so called 'upgrade' and gone out and purchased a new version of windows 10. It was just that I was constantly bombarded with the offers of Windows 10 'free upgrades' - the worst thing I ever did as it seems they were contaminated with Malware. I had never had any pop up advertisement before moving to Windows 10. I installed several anti virus programs and they were useless.

Anyway it seems that there is no easy answer - revert to my older windows and then lash out on a new clean version of Windows 10. After this experience I think I would be reticent to ever use Windows 10 again. I really appreciate your efforts in offering advice. From my experience I would have to advise anyone to avoid any offer to switch to Windows 10 using an upgrade

The only reason you got malware with windows 10 is the fact that you didn't download it from Microsoft Directly and create an install USB media. Windows 10 has absolutely nothing to do with the malware you acquired, That came from the source that you got the upgrade from which was not Microsoft. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10. Microsoft no longer asks or Prompts you to upgrade to Windows 10 at all that all ended about 3 years ago at the end of the official free upgrade. I know this for fact since I have 2 computer that I don't upgrade to Windows 10 because their hardware will not support windows 10 without a lot of work finding drivers that work. I have not been prompted to upgrade to 10 on either since the end of the free upgrade. So don't be blaming Windows 10 for your mistake of downloading or updating from anyone other than Microsoft.

Reaction score
There is nothing in Windows 10 that has any malware or virus'. First off, when were you bombarded with offers to upgrade to Windows 10? Because it's been 2 years since Microsoft stopped offering the upgrade. If you were getting these messages recently, you already had malware, and most likely upgraded using a rogue version of Windows. If that's the case, I would immediately reformat your drive and do a fresh install of Windows using an official version. You did not get malware from doing a legitimate upgrade to Windows 10.

Ask a Question